Oct 10, 2011

Baby Steps to Success

The first time I went to a writer's conference, I was considering if maybe I really could do something besides write literary analyses and blog posts.  I was seriously doubting my ability to be a writer.  Shoot, at the time I was working on figuring out how to TEACH creative writing and questioning why on earth I was given the job.

I started took a Creative Writing class at the local university, spent endless hours trying to figure out how to teach teens how to find ideas, how to plot, how to build tension, and how to write something besides emo gore and Renaissance romance.  (Seriously, a person can only take so many stories with the girl on the balcony, with the wind gently tossing her hair, curtains blowing in the wind, wishing her father would just understand that her love is enough...)

I listened to Shannon Hale, started following writer's blogs, participated in NaNoWriMo a few times, and realized I loved the process.  I went to UVU and was a deer in the headlights most of the two day conference. 

People were talking about queries, agents, point of view, and I was just trying to figure out if my characters had already been written.  I didn't even know what was going to happen to them. 

This time, I felt like it was the chance for me to meet people.  At this point, I only know of four others in my beloved town who are pursuing the writing dream. 

This time, I opened my mouth, something that generally isn't difficult for me to do. I met people, got ideas of how to meet more people, and am still riding a writing high that even mountains of grading can't bring me down from. 

Reflecting on the process has helped me realize that I'm a bit like Bob.
I've been babystepping into becoming a writer.  I still have a journey, but really, I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful. 

And I have another writer's workshop to attend this weekend.  Let the high continue!




7 comments :

E.R. King said...

Your Bob picture drew me to this post. So funny!
I think baby steps are better than no steps. Every little bit helps to get you to your goal.

catwoods said...

Tasha,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and allowing me to follow you home.

Right off the bat, I loved your beautiful and simple layout. My sister used to make handmade paper and I loved your background instantly because of that connection.

Then I read your posts. I love your enthusiasm and spirit.

And even though I've been writing for years, I still feel like I'm taking baby steps. The beautiful thing about writing a novel is that when you're done with one, you get to start all over again with another.

The path is always there, just waiting for us to brave the journey. The path doesn't care how many steps it takes us to get to our destination. It simply leads us forward as long as we have the guts to keep walking.

Hugs and best luck with your writing. Conferences are the bomb for igniting our passions!

David Powers King said...

I absolutely love that movie.

Love your post! And you're totally right. It was awesome to meet you at the UVU thing. And thanks for the follow! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm babystepping right along with you! :) When I first stumbled onto a writing site a couple of years ago I had NO idea about pretty much anything to do with the publishing process. I'm still finding out how much there is to learn!

J. A. Bennett said...

I am so jealous that you got to go to the UVU thing, maybe next year I guess! But that's what writers conferences are about, finding yourself as a writer. It's great to meet you! If you don't mind me asking, where in Utah do you live? Also what conference are you going to this weekend?

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I live in Cedar City - There is a writer's workshop going on this weekend with Rick Walton and Mette Ivie Harrison.

WritingNut said...

It sounds awesome, I've never been to one!