Oct 28, 2011

Killer Characters - Better to Reign than Serve


We are going to have a moment of major literary nerdiness.  Are you ready? 







Hands down, the best literary protagonist may be referenced in the Bible, but nothing can beat the characterization he receives from one of my favorite authors of all time - John Milton.  I'm referring to the charismatic, scheming, manipulative Satan.

Satan's abilities were full developed, brought to beautiful epic light in spite of his existence in darkness. 
 
Yes, I have a crush on John Milton.  Lots of people (myself included) have Hollywood boyfriends (Jason Statham) - I also have a literary boyfriend. Don't you?

So we have Satan, one of the favored who was thrown from heaven, falling for days before landing in Hell, and once he gets his bearings set, he plays a few mind tricks on his fellow fallen before plotting his next move. 

For him, it's not good enough to just get even.  He wants revenge.  He wants to shake the throne of God. His releasing of Death and Sin was just the beginning.


And being the big bad baddy that he is, he doesn't go after God; he goes after his kids. 


All of them. 

He tempts Adam and Eve and rejoices in their fall. 

And their children's fall.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I don't really think you can get much more sinister than that. 

Images are all by Gustave Dore, who I think did a great service to Satan by giving him the biggest, baddest wings EVER.


21 comments :

L.A Speedwing said...

Indeed! It's sinister and twisted. Well done. Great choice. You've convinced me.

Cristina said...

this is great! he is the baddest of them all!

Melissa Sugar said...

Satan is the most evil of the evil. Perfect choice

Angela Cothran said...

Satan is the Antag of all antags! Nice choice :)

Julie Daines said...

Great post. It's funny because I love Milton too, and Dore's portrayal of Satan. I love it because of the whole wings and fallen angel motif. Nice to meet a fellow Milton lover. And thanks for stopping by my blog.

Julie said...

Oh, this is a great choice!! Sinister, and fascinating. Wonderful post!

It's been great discovering your blog through this fun fest! :)

E.R. King said...

Round of applause for this one! Love it all around. Well done!

Jen said...

Fantastic choice! Satan is everyone's antagonist!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Great Choice!

Brianna said...

AWESOME post!
Love literary nerdiness! And while I'm not sure I want John Milton as a boyfriend, it tickles me that you do!

It never ceases to amaze me that the Bible is the perfect model of literary genius!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Hello! Why didn't I think of that?! In evil, he trumps everyone!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Satan IS the ultimate antagonist - he is there whispering in the ears of every antagonist the rest of us chose....

Sylvia Ney said...

I wrote a paper on Paradise Lost when I was in college. Wonderful tale of the ultimate deceiver!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love meeting fellow writers.

Sylvia
http://writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Cortney said...

By far, Satan is the worst villain ever! I love your idea of literary boyfriends! Right now mine is Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss. I loved that book!

Guilie said...

Brilliant! You're right: you don't get any nastier than Satan. And Milton is worth adoring. I agree. Didn't realize he cheated on me with you, though. *sigh* Well, I'm not the jealous kind :)

Good to have found your blog, and thanks for the great analysis--and fantastic images!

magpiewrites said...

Yeah! he's the father of all antagonists. I also love that Satan is also called Lucifer (lightbringer) and Morning Star. I vaguely remember a really interesting multi-dimensional portrayal of 'Lucifer" in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics years ago. got to go look that up. Thanks for reminding me!

Rachel Frost said...

My younger sister and I used Satan as a reference for the villain of our collaborative book. He really is the epitome of evil--which makes for a great character!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way. :)

Deana said...

This is so not nerdy! It's like the best of the best. Seriously good choice.

Jolene Perry said...

Love Milton.
Love.

Sophia Chang said...

Of COURSE I have literary crushes - I even have a monthly crush on my blog to celebrate them lol. I love this profile of Satan (that sounds so weird) - I know I'm supposed to comment on your warm fuzzies post, but I just had to chime in here :)

Talei said...

You know, Jason Streatham would play the most perfect devil, methinks. He is quite fabulous. Also, I love the idea of a literary boyfriend!

Lovely to find your blog too, thanks so much for popping over to mine.