Oct 26, 2011

Killer Characters - Her best feature?


This was a challenge for me, but I knew immediately it was going to be a female character.  

I thought about Hester Prynne, Belle (Beauty and the Beast) and Elizabeth Bennett, but I had to go back to the person who helped form who I was in my childhood, then again in my teens, then again as a young adult and think about who I had loved, related with, admired and dreamed to be like.  

It was then and always has been Jo.


Jo had everything.  I love that she went through repeated struggles trying to find her place in the world, but even through the discovery, always clings to her one dream.  

I love that she had the courage to turn down a proposal that she just knew in her heart wasn't right, for either party, and though she is bumbling through it, still manages to have some grace in the process.

I love that she pushed the status quo and has to learn some lessons, some that she doesn't necessarily want to learn, to discover who she really is.  Through these trials though, her true character comes out because she is still able to celebrate the accomplishment of dreams achieved by her sisters, knowing they are becoming who they want, taking the place they want to hold in society.  

She so often refers to herself as a tomboy, but I see her having the character of royalty.  I owe much of who I am today to her. 

Warm fuzzy feelings again rewarded if you can remember the scene that deals with the title of this post.

This is part two of the Killer Characters Blogfest.  

To see what others had to say about their favorite protagonist, go here.


19 comments :

Julie said...

I'm trying to remember the scene with this title and I can't, it's driving me nuts LOL. I think it is too early and my brain is not working. Great post! I love reading all the different choices, this blogfest is really fun. :)

Jess said...

Excellent choice! Jo also had a big impact on me. I loved Little Women and still reread it on a regular basis :)

Angela Cothran said...

Aww Jo :) She makes me smile. There is so much to love about Jo. Great post.

Miranda Hardy said...

Jo is a great character. I loved the book and the movie.

Pk Hrezo said...

JO!! I love her. Little Women is one of my fave. And she is so much like another fave, Elizabeth Bennett. Such strong female leads.
ANd I love your choice of Han Solo! He is a classic scoundrel... the guy we love to hate. :)

Jayne said...

Ah - I guessed this was a character from Little Women - glad to see it confirmed in the comments. Shall I let you into a shocking secret? I haven't read Little Women. I know, I'm hanging my head in shame over here. I need to rectify it pronto! She sounds a great character; your words sketch her really well. :)

E.R. King said...

Jo! Yes! I love this! Little Women was like reading a book about me and my sisters. Arguably (my sisters would disagree) I always considered myself a Jo. Great post!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Jo March is one of the greatest female character in the history of books - for all the reasons you detailed. Great choice!

J. A. Bennett said...

I think she always said her best feature was hair, which is why it was so sad when she cut it get some money :( I love Jo too. Talk about not being afraid to be yourself!

Jenny S. Morris said...

I love JO! She is awesome! I love the movie. It makes me cry every time.

Abby Fowers said...

Fabulous choice! Why didn't I think of her? She really is an amazing character. Good choice.

Melissa Sugar said...

This is a wonderful choice. I am with E.R. King, reading this book, to me is like reading about my sisters and me.

This is one of my all time favorite books. I love Jo. This is one of those times, however that I did not like the actor who played the part. It is nothing against Wynona Ryder, I have liked her in many other rolls. You know how when you read a book long before the film is made and you have the character formed clearly in your mind? That is what happened to me in this situation. Wynona Ryder just did not fulfill the image of Jo that had been in my mind for so long.

Awesome Choice.
Melissa

Tara Tyler said...

Jo is an excellent choice! Great role model for strong young women!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Why didn't I think of Jo? She's such an awesome character - I love her!

Sarah Pearson said...

Of course! How could I have forgotten Jo?

Lyla said...

I kinda feel bad that I'm apparently the only one who hasn't read Little Women yet. >_> But I'll definitely check it out, I promise! And Jo seems like a really great character. :)

Jen said...

Confession time - I've never read this! I've seen the movie, though, (which is probably no comparison.) My excuse is I'm Australian and I have to work my way through the Australian classics before I start on anyone else's.

Deana said...

Jo is incredible! Another great choice.

Nisa said...

Jo is a beautiful character. I'm so glad you chose her. I love your description of her. Who says tomboys can't be royal? And it's been so long since I've read the book that I can't remember what she said her best feature was. That's sad!