Oct 24, 2011

Killer Characters - "I know"

When it comes to supporting characters, sometimes I find them annoying.  Sometimes they are whiny, feel picked on, and have the anything you do is better than anything I do attitude.

However, my favorite supporting character has none of those.

I love Han Solo.

And not just because he is Harrison Ford.

Han has a so what attitude that makes him start out like a jerk.  But I kindof like that jerk because he doesn't sit around waiting for someone to take his problems away (and let's face it, he has quite a few).  He figures out a plan to get what needs to be done to move on with his life.

But then, he loses a little bit of the jerky attitude, starts to actually care about people besides himself (though he may not always be happy about it) and allows himself to join a cause that is greater than himself.  Sure he gets frozen in the process, but viewers get to see his loyalty, even the hint of it he is capable of, allow a connection with others who are willing to risk their own life to save his.

This is part of the Killer Characters Blogfest which is proving to be lots of fun.


If you like fun, go here.

Warm fuzzy feelings deep down in your soul if you can identify the part of the movie when Han says the line in the blog title.

21 comments :

E.R. King said...

Okay, you had me at Harrison Ford.
Nice pick! Han Solo is a classic supporting character, the good guy who begrudges being good. I love me a snarky man. ;D

E.R. King said...

Oh, oh, oh! I remember when he says the line. The cocky SOB says that back to Princess Leia when she tells him she loves him. *sigh* He's so dreamy.

Sarah Pearson said...

Emily's got it right. 'I love me a snarky man' :-)

Munir said...

I think that if you take a vote Princess Leia wil get better fans than Han Solo ever would.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I almost did Han Solo!! I love his character. My kids love being Han when they play Star Wars.

Great job.

Tara Tyler said...

he's my #2 dreamboat supporting character! i'm so glad i wasnt the only one having a hard time getting movies off my mind for this. its so much easier to picture them!

Kelly Polark said...

I adore Han Solo, too.

I even wrote to Harrison Ford when I was in fifth grade. I got an autographed (stamped with an autograph picture) back.
I don't think I realized he was as old as my dad then...

Guilie said...

LOL, Kelly... Yes, it happens :)

Loved this pick! Han Solo is a great supporting character, not just because of the fact that his actions definitely move the story along, but also because he is such a fleshed-out character.

I'm of the generation that saw Star Wars in theaters, and I really had a hard time picking between Han or Luke as recipients of my crushes...

Jemi Fraser said...

Love Harrison Ford too! Han is one of my favourite characters as well!! :)

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

He's definitely a great choice. I love reading these - so many different and interesting choices.

Jen said...

Great choice! Snarky, cocky, and let's not forget sexy!

J. A. Bennett said...

He's one of those dynamic characters that I totally LOVE! Great choice :)

magpiewrites said...

AWESOME!
"I love you."
"I know."
How could you NOT love a scoundrel like that!

Peggy Eddleman said...

That's a FABULOUS pick! I love Han Solo!

Stephen Tremp said...

Harrison Ford is one of my favorites. He was great in most (not all) roles he was in. Now I want to rent Star Wars. Been a long time since I watched it.

Jess said...

This is such a timely post for me! My hubby found out that I'd never actually seen any of the Star Wars movies--just bits and pieces of scenes. We sat down and watched it, and I thought the same exact thing about Harrison Ford~ he's the epitome of a likeable jerk ~ the hardass-turns-into-a-softy kind of guy. Loved it :)

Angela Cothran said...

Han is such a great character. Charming, Over confident, flawed, loyal, funny--I can't imagine Starwars without him!

ali cross said...

I LOVE Hans Solo! He totally made the SW movies for me, hands down.

Julie said...

Oh, I LOVE Hans Solo!!! I was traumatized when he was frozen, he totally stole the movies to me. Great choice!

Melissa Sugar said...

I love Hans Solo and I love Harrison Ford. I had such a huge crush on him back when Star Wars first came out & I still do. He is one of those actors who just keeps getting better looking and more talented.

Excellent Choice.

Melissa

Nisa said...

Ooh! Han is right up there with Leo. He is an awesome choice!