Oct 7, 2011

Life and Writing

Do you remember Frank Sinatra's "Love and Marriage?"  It was the song that opened "Married, With Children," a fact that I only know because I hated the show (don't get me started) so when the song came on, it was time to change the channel. 

If you haven't heard the song, here are the first few lyrics -
"Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other."

So what? I had this song in my head all day, but I was substituting life and writing.  The fact that the syllables worked out perfectly may have made me giggle.  But the point is, it got me thinking.

I have had lots of life.  Okay, I'm only 33, but still.  My life was becoming so full of life that it was losing value to me.  It was just a thing I was doing because I was still living. 

Over the last month or two, I have been steadily increasing my dedication to my writing.  And life is happy again.  Stressful, yes, but happy stressful. 

Yes, there is such a thing. 

I just attended a conference,  UVU Book Academy, that has me so energized about writing that even though it has been a long week, I'm strangely excited about life.  The conference presenters talked several times about how the process is hard, and requires dedication and working through tough times and I'm completely rejuvenated.

I realized that life without writing isn't complete. 

6 comments :

Donna K. Weaver said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think it's so fun to meet with other writers and see how they're doing and what they've learned.

E.R. King said...

If life without writing isn't complete, you know you're a writer! Good for you for knowing this about yourself!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I hated Married, With Children, too! Partly because the wife's name was Peggy, and I thought she was doing a disservice to Peggys everywhere. :)

I went to The Book Academy last year, and I loved it! This year, though, I went to a writer's conference in Park City that was this Friday and Saturday, so it was a bit much to add a conference Thursday as well. I had seriously considered it, though! I'm glad you liked it! It's amazing how much hanging out with other writers and talking about craft completely energizes you!

Rena said...

1. I am going to have that song stuck in my head for a week.

2. I didn't know a member of the rat pack was the original songwriter, and now I don't know how I feel about the crooners.

3. hear hear. Writing is muy bueno, and it makes like muy bueno tambien.

Murees Dupé said...

Great post. I couldn't agree with you more. Without writing life would be very dull and as you so wonderfully pointed out, incomplete.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting.

Catherine Ensley said...

I love that old song!