Oct 21, 2011

Me vs. NaNoWriMo

I have gone back and forth on this for a little bit, but I'm committing to NaNoWriMo. 

(Cue Eye of the Tiger music)

I have participated in NaNoWriMo for the last three years, came close to winning the first, was simultaneously writing a Master's thesis during the second (no win there) and had foot surgery then moved while still in the walking boot the third (yea, not even close). 

I have a story that I really like, have re-written the first chapter to about 15 times, but that, in all reality, is as far as I've gotten.  I have been dreaming about my MC and her problems for years, seriously, but just never really figured out how to get her where she needed to be to be able to tell her story. 

For a little bit I was feeling like it was cheating, because I had written a little about her, but I talked myself out of it because it was more disorganized outlining than anything.  Maybe that is still cheating, but I am not counting anything previously written in my word count. 

Don't judge me.  At least not out loud.

I'm now really excited.  I'm ready to win. 

I will be singing this while eating entirely too many chocolate covered cinnamon bears (the good ones from an actual candy shop) and consuming close to illegal amounts of Diet Coke.  


Are you in?  
Are you using the energy from this movement to motivate you?  
If not, what are you using as excuses to talk yourself out of it?

13 comments :

Miranda Hardy said...

Hi Tasha! I believe I signed up last year, but didn't finish it. I've signed up again this year, have my outline complete, so I am ready. I'll be right along side you.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I'm in. I love that video!

DonnaKW if you want to link up there.

Jessie Humphries said...

Illegal amounts of Diet Coke???? That is hilarious. I always feel a strong bond with my fellow Diet Coke drinkers. You go girl!

Laura Pauling said...

The only reason I'm not doing Nano is b/c I've got some pretty rewrites to complete that I didn't realize I needed to do. :) Good luck!

Angela Cothran said...

Wow! That Eye of the Tiger music was REALLY loud. You should have warned me to turn the sound down.

I'm in too :) This is my first year so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm excited. It sounds like you are a pro!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Hi, Tasha! I'm returning the visit from Katie's Bloffee this morning!

Personally, I'm not much for writing "rules" -- whether it's "Never Use Adverbs" or "You Must Have a Three Act Structure" or "Your Nanowrimo Project Must be Virginal."

I thought the whole point was to dedicate a month to seriously working on that novel, and I say work on whatever your heart desires! :)

Amie Kaufman said...

Doooooooo it! I've won NaNo twice and there's no feeling like it -- but the thing is, even if you just kickstart your novel, that will be a huge win. Good luck!

Sarah Pearson said...

I'm in. It's my first attempt :-)

Murees Dupé said...

Hey Tasha! I have an award for you so please stop by my blog to pick it up.

http://dailydramaofanaspiringwriter.blogspot.com/2011/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Creepy Query Girl said...

I'm in. Just signed up this morning. I'm totally nervous, especially because my first three chapter usually take me forever and I have no idea how I'm going to pop out a whole book in a month but we'll see!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I'm in! And there's no such thing as cheating in writing, as long as the final product is awesome. :)

Jillian said...

Hehe - love the video, and I'm definitely doing Nanowrimo this year too. I've 'won' before, but it's always with a hot mess, so this year I'm trying that outlining and planning ahead stuff for the first time.

Best of luck to you!

Gail Shepherd said...

I'm in, Tasha, see you there!