Oct 12, 2011

To Thine Own Self and So Forth


I'm in a writer's group, which is amazing, but I'm in the basic writing point and two of the people in my group are in the revision point.  Because of this, the writing is significantly different.  I'm trying to mull through what's happening, still establishing setting, etc. and reading the work of people who are revising, doing small tweaks.

It's very easy to get caught up in the land of comparison.  

However, I force myself to take a step back and remember that they were once where I am.  It's very rare the person who can just throw words at a page and have them land on the page in pristine perfection.  

I remember listening to an interview with Yoyo Ma, and he talked about how people who came to a live performance would never be able to hear what they can on the CD because there aren't retakes, cuts, perfection.  

But as writers, we have that opportunity to create perfection.  At least, our own version of perfection.  

It's important in the meantime to remember that at one point in time, someone out there was pulling their hair out trying to tweak the character, scene, dialogue.  And at one point in time, Yoyo Ma made a bow squeak across his strings.  

We all have to start somewhere.  Just don't let go of the joy.


4 comments :

Jolene Perry said...

OR when you put your book out there, you sort of panic again because you realize that now you're telling the world - Yep. I'm ready. This is as good as this story's going to get!!
So, you know, that's kinda scary, too.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love that quote! And you are totally right about the perfection coming after lots and lots of work! Sometimes it's hard not to compare, but it definitely steals joy.

Catherine Ensley said...

Oh, I don't know if perfection ever comes, but I do know that the more you work on something, the better you understand it, and the better it gets. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Great quote. And I love Yo-Yo Ma!

Thank you for coming by my blog and following. :)