Nov 16, 2011

Warm Fuzzies Blogfest - Worth It

This is the last week of this blogfest.  I really wasn't sure how I was going to do it and NaNo, but I found that this was just what I needed in the midst of the mayhem - something to remind me of a love of writing.

I write because I felt like I was lost when I wasn't.  I didn't chase my passion, wasn't living a full life, so it's always worth it.  When the characters are stagnant, I can't quite imagine the setting, when it's just not working, that is still a better feeling than the one where I feel incomplete.

I have recently had my WIP critiqued by people who didn't know anything about it.  Are there things they pointed out that made me firmly plant palm to forehead and say "DUH!" - absolutely.  But in that there was also the feedback that it was working - the premise at least.

Writing is kindof like golfing in that way (if you are married to or are yourself a golfer, you will know what I mean).  All you need in golf is that one good shot, an up and down from a sand trap, an approach shot that lands less than two feet from the hole, the putt that lands firmly in the center of the cup.  In writing, that can come from outside critiques, or that can come from self satisfaction - the opening line that is just killer, the scene that elicited significant emotion when you wrote it, the fact that you have developed a character so well you could almost have a conversation with them.

That's why I write.  It is an outward manifestation of an inner self. 

20 points :)

12 comments :

E.R. King said...

I enjoyed reading this. I feel I know you better now, Tasha. I agree that writing is about the perfect combination, just like your swing in golfing. Good comparison.

Cortney said...

I LOVE that, "an outward manifestation of an inner self." And I don't know much about golfing! ;)

Patricia Lynne said...

I know nothing about golfing, so that went right over my head. I do know how you feel about having someone critique your work and going DUH! over something they said.

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

My dad has captained two golf clubs, and I can so see how similar golf and writing are. Notice golfers are always taking lessons or watching how to videos aswell. Great analogy!

Cassie Mae said...

Great analogy! I think I can relate writing now to pretty much anything, even golf which I know next to nothing about...except that Adam Scott is a major hottie. :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I have never played golf, but I can relate to the writing part :)

Kim Van Sickler said...

Tasha,

I love the comparison to golf. I don't play, but I know people who do and I live next to a golf course, so I know golfers get up at the crack of dawn and play in the rain and get extremely frustrated with their game --for what? For the chance to hit that bogie, to line drive that ball the distance, to make that putt.

That moment of brilliance is worth it.

Juliana L. Brandt said...

What a fabulous last line, Tasha. It is so very true!

I'm so glad the blogfest was of help to you AND that you could fit it into your busy schedule :D

Jessica Therrien said...

It's important to have a passion. Writing is so fulfilling...I'm glad we have it :)

Jessica Therrien said...

It's important to have a passion. Writing is so fulfilling...I'm glad we have it :)

Jessica Therrien said...

Lol...apparently my computer REALLY REALLY wanted you to get my comment haha. Sorry for the repeats.

Jess said...

"...the fact that you have developed a character so well you could almost have a conversation with them."

I LOVE that feeling! Sometimes I have to remind myself that these are imaginary friends. They DO NOT EXIST IN REAL LIFE. Stop asking them what you should make for dinner. ;)

*sigh* Such a great feeling.