Nov 28, 2011

The Will to Win

"The spirit, the will to win and the will to excel --- these are the things what will endure and these are the qualities that are so much more important than any of the events themselves.” - Vince Lombardi


NaNo is coming to an end and I just turned the corner on 30k.  Obviously it's not going to be a win for me this year because I am not Superman and I can't write almost 20,000 words in three days. 

Seriously.

But I still think I won.  Look back at the Lombardi quote.  I found the will to win and it goes way beyond NaNoWriMo.  I found the will to excel at writing - to really knock the sucker out of the park, and NaNo allowed me to find the story that I thought was there.  I also figured out that writing 1,000 words a day, something that I used to think was simply not feasible is completely achieveable.

I used to think that there was no way that I could fit that in my schedule, but I hit 1,000 words or more every single day.  The consistent pace of the elusive 1,667 was too much for me this time around, but I have learned more about myself as a writer, of what I can do than I ever really thought I could do. 

The event is almost over.  The spirit, the will to win, the will to excel - that is just starting. 

8 comments :

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Great post, Tasha! To me that's the heart of NaNo! I don't think it matters if you reach the 50k word mark. It only matters to set the goal, kick start your creativity, and jump whole-heartedly into your craft.

The story will take as long as it takes, but getting the drive to finish it -- that's priceless!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I'm so glad you're focusing on how very much you've accomplished instead of feeling bad, as I've heard others do, because you didn't quite reach 50,000! Like you and Dianne said - the important thing is to set the goal and get started. How awesome that you've written this much, and that you've found 1000 words a day is within your grasp - especially with Thanksgiving in the middle of it all!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I'd count that as a win! Hitting at least 1000 words every single day? That's awesome! It sounds like you got even more than that out of it, too.

I love Vince Lombardi. I think that quote is awesome.

E.R. King said...

You've got a great attitude. Writing is all that matters. You always have next month. : )

Murees Dupé said...

Hi Tasha! I have an award for you on my blog. So please stop by whenever you have time, to claim it.

J. A. Bennett said...

As long as you wrote everyday and never gave up you are a winner!

Leigh Covington said...

I love that quote! Love it! And it's so true! Sounds like you did great and I'm glad you got so much out of it. I am hoping to do NaNo next year. Can't wait. :) Great job!

Jolene Perry said...

I tried to get up early every day for a week to write, and I only managed it one day because of a HUGE amount of crazy circumstances. BUT what I learned while doing that is I really do get a LOT of writing done when I do that. So, it was worth it.

Yay you for learning how many words you can get down on a page!!