Nov 4, 2011

Won't you be my neighbor?

There are lots of reasons that writers blog.  Lots of people talk about how it is platform building, and that is very true.  But I think there is another, bigger truth.

If you are like me, where you live may not have an abundance of writers.  I'm not talking about the people who dabble in writing when they are bored or whatever, but people who have a passion for writing, stories to be told, and the desire to write.  Granted there is a hope by many of us to get published.  For those of you who have that desire, the encouraging thing is, according to Mette Ivie Harrison and  Rick Walton, neither of them could think of someone who kept at it that didn't get published.

But in the meantime?

We keep writing, we keep revising, because it's our love.

That's where I think the blogging community comes in.

Yes, a writer's blog is a platform, but more than that, a writer's blog is a network.

Nope, it's a neighborhood.

In this neighborhood, we get it.  We write because we can't not write.




I moved into this neighborhood almost a month ago, and I have to say, it's the quickest welcome I've ever had.  I found out there are lots of people like me, who don't think it's at all strange to stay up late to write, to jot down ideas in random places, to use acronyms like WIP and MC.

So, to those of you who have read my blog, followed, commented, or just stopped by to say hi, thanks for welcoming me to the neighborhood.

I plan on staying for a long, long time.

6 comments :

Jess said...

I felt the exact same way when I started blogging and love "the neighborhood" too! It's so nice to have the support of people on a similar writing journey!

Cassie Mae said...

Ooh, I love all the writing lingo! I find myself using them when I talk to my hubby. I think he's chosen to ignore me when he doesn't understand, lol.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I feel the same way, too! And add to that the fact that, for many of us, writing means a lot of time alone in our work space, wherever that might be, with only our thoughts and our characters for company. It's nice to feel like were not alone, that at the click of a mouse we can be in touch with friends who get us :)

KarenG said...

What a delightful post, Tasha, and one that succinctly summarized why I for one am here. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Tasha, you are right! It's a wonderful neighborhood! Now that I've been blogging for almost 2 years, I can't believe I wrote my first novel in complete isolation!

Now I don't know what I'd do without the support of fellow bloggers ... not to mention the critique partners I met through blogging.

Welcome to a great place!

Guilie said...

You know, that is so true, Tasha. It's a neighborhood, and it's the best one I've "lived" in :) Like you, where I live there aren't any (many?) writers and it's a lonesome feeling. I quit my job in the financial industry earlier this year to write, and all my friends and colleagues think I went off the deep end. It's good to have a community online where WIP and POV, "telling vs. showing" and plot arcs, fleshing out characters and being surprised by them actually makes sense to someone :)