Nov 7, 2011

Working through the slow scenes

As you may be aware, I'm participating in NaNo this year.  It's going well, but I hit the point yesterday where I had to have a scene...someone kiss...die...fall in love...SOMETHING to get me to the scene I wanted to have happen. 

I had a moment where I felt exactly like Wiley Coyote.  I'm running along, things are looking good, I've got my goal in site and almost grasped on to it when...





There's this big chasm between where I am now and where I want to go.  I don't want to just put in filler - wasted space, because why take the time to write it when I know while writing it that it is crap.  Hello!  

Since it is NaNo, and I'm chasing speed, people, speed, I just changed the font color to red, threw in a yellow highlight for good measure and wrote BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, write something that doesn't suck here.  (True story)
 
What do you do when you hit the low spots in your writing?  
What techniques have you used to get you through, under, over or around the cliffs of insanity or the pit of despair? 

Share your ideas and you will win warm fuzzy feelings deep down in your soul.




6 comments :

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

Ah, the joy that is NaNo. I'm writing too, and have hit the wall a few times.

For me, the trick is to take a break. I know nano is supposed to be about getting in the words, but if I don't know what to write, how can I? I do something else for a while. And when I come back, my subconscious has usually worked out something. And it's generally at least passable. Not always, but frequently.

Nisa said...

That is too funny! I have skipped scenes before like that, but I hate doing it. Usually I just sit back and daydream until something comes, but that can take a long time and during NaNo, time is not something that comes in buckets. The one time I did NaNo, I just wrote crap. I like your idea a lot better!

Cassie Mae said...

This is my favorite cartoon ever!

I totally do what you do and write something like, YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS! YOU BETTER COME BACK AND CHANGE IT!

Makes me giggle when I finally get my Ah ha moment. :)

E.R. King said...

I hit a low spot last week while revising for NaNo. I was changing my conflict, removing it and leaving big holes in my beautiful book. At one point I stared at the screen and couldn't hit the delete button again. I got up from my computer and fled to my room where I took a moment to collect myself, then decided to leave it alone for a bit. That night I came up with a solution to tweak my conflict without removing it. Hooray!
Stop and breathe, that's the key. Trust yourself to think up an answer later. I'm sure you will.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love the cartoon and your description! So apt! I do the same thing you're doing, but sometimes I realize that not much needs to go in between except for a small transition or something. If it's boring to write, it's going to be boring to read, so stick with the good stuff! But I can totally relate. I have that problem all the time!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Well, this is why I don't do NaNo. Blocks take time to work through.

On the other hand, skipping ahead and writing what comes next might help you figure out what came between.