Dec 26, 2011

Getting Ready for the New Year

How many of you are members of a gym?  If you are, and if you have been going for any amount of time, you know that you have one more week of regulars before all the resolutioners will show up, crowd the gym, go strong for about 2-4 weeks and life will resume with the same regulars you see the 11 months out of the year. 

Sometimes, I'm like that as a writer. When NaNo hit, I was gung-ho, on my way, determined that I was different, and I was - for about four weeks.  Then with holidays and mid-term grading and what not, I fell off the writing wagon.  Luckily I had two weeks off from work to re-evaluate my goals and what I want to happen and what I need to do to make it happen. 

I read Kristen Lamb's book "Are You There Blog, It's Me, Writer" to fix some things I can do better in the land of Social Media (her blog really is amazing, especially for starting writers - both for writing itself and for figuring out the world of social media). 

I sat down and made an extensive outline of my text, factoring in holes that my critique group have pointed out exist. 

And I am absolutely committed to keeping up three posts here a week and writing 1,000 words a day.  Feel free to check in with me and keep me honest - no running 18 minutes on a treadmill and calling it 20 here :)

What are you doing to make sure you meet your writing goals?  What tools have you found to help you meet them? 

2 comments :

Dianne K. Salerni said...

My problem is not falling off the writing wagon. My problem is having to be *forced* off at gunpoint.

I'm too obsessive. I try to write even when I'm too tired to do so and when I really ought to give myself more time to think and reflect about what happens next in the WIP, or how to revise a finished piece to improve the pacing and structure.

If I make a resolution this year, it ought to be to read more books, watch more TV, and take more long walks. I spend too much time attached to my laptop!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for reminding me about all of the January gym people. You're right, come February, they are all gone.
I have that book but still haven't had time to read it. Think I'm doing all right though.
Definitely need to write more...