Dec 7, 2011

Liebster Award and Santa

 
First, Murees Dupee gave me the Liebster award.  I'm thrilled.  

Ok, so how this award works is, you have to do the following:

Copy this award onto your blog.

Thank and link to the person that gave it to you.

Forward it to 5 bloggers that have less than 200 followers.

Comment on those 5 peoples blogs, to share the good news.

Here are the five people who I am sharing this award with:

Rosalyn - An Equivalent Centre of Self

Joshua -Vive le Nerd

Melissa - Writeryogini

The Scribble Chicks (maybe cheating on this one but I like their blog - all of them)

Charlotte - Charlotte Laughs (This isn't a writerly blog as much as a feel amazing about life and try to be that happy blog.  She has an on-going Lion Stone Seekers feature - too much fun).

I just spent the last week with my high school classes writing letters from Santa in a project with another teacher.  We responded to 45 elementary classes, averaging between 25 and 30 students per class.  On the low end, that is over 1,000 letters.  It requires a decent amount of organization and prep, but it is hands down one of my favorite projects. 

I teach teenagers, and while lots of people say they are emotional, snarky, stuck up - honestly, I adore them.  And, how many adults can you say don't maybe have the same emotional temperament as well.  

Back to the project.  We get to read the funny things kids ask for (one of my favorites this year was asking Santa to not let Rudolph come to his house because his dad wanted to shoot him.  I live in hunting country, can you tell?)  There are the sentimental ones (I want my dad back, please help my mom's kidneys), and the funny ones (Santa, I know I've been bad, but it's not my fault.  Have you met my sister?).

The thing is it gets us out of thinking about ourselves, remembering the magic of Christmas and the season, and what it's like to imagine again.  I truly think one of my greatest gifts over the last few years has been rediscovering and improving my imagination.  I'm not writing fantasy or scifi or anything like that right now, but the imagination is such an essential part of writing.  
I'm going to make sure to thank Santa for that in the letter I write to him annually.

What is the greatest gift "Santa" gave to you in your adult life?  As a writer, what would you thank Santa for?  Why do you love this time of year?



7 comments :

rosalyn said...

Thanks Tasha! I'll make sure to pass on the love. :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I love those letters! ... have you met my sister! :)

Jillian said...

What fun! More schools should do this kind of project.

Charlotte said...

Aww shucks Tasha! To be nominated among all these writers is a real treat. Thank you!

E.R. King said...

Congrats on the award!
I love teenagers, too. People who don't like them try too hard with them instead of just being themselves. Teenagers like someone who knows who they are and don't apologize for it!

Sarah Pearson said...

Congratulations on your award. I love the sound of your project :-)

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Thanks for the award, Tasha :-)