Dec 16, 2011

Live Your Passion

I think it is a safe to say all of us know or have at least met published writers.  Take a minute and think about them, how they looked, what they talked about in their daily life, etc.

How many of them discussed making sure the housekeeper and the gardener didn't mess up - again?

No?

Okay, how many of them talked about the frustrating things in the upkeep of their huge house?

Hmmm....

What did they talk about?

Oh, writing.  Stories and plots and characters that just started to exist but were so real it was like they were talking about a long lost friend and world building and the problems that the characters were going to face and discussions about how to make it better with their agent and editor and promoting books and talking to people who loved books and hearing how they stayed up to finish reading it and how it was exhausting, right?

This is pretty close to what most of my experiences have been with writers.  But I left out one little part.

The but.

They will say things like, but I love it, it's so much fun to visit with these people, there was that moment when it just clicked, when I got my agent, when I got my ARC's, when it was in the store.  When they get to that part, look at their eyes, and you will see the reason for the joy behind the fatigue.

I think all of us are guilty at one point or another of dreaming that we will somehow reach a pseudo-celebrity status, that our book will blow the minds of people and infuse modern pop culture and win all kinds of awards.

Obviously this happens, so it will again, for someone.

But every single writer who has had success writes because they love it.  Because their life wouldn't be the same without it.  Because sometimes being happy, having a passion, chasing a dream is more valuable than whatever the accompanying money could buy.

The great thing is publication isn't a qualifier.

Are you passionate about your writing? 

6 comments :

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I have to say that I truly began to "love" writing when I was about 2/3 of the way through The Christmas Village. It was this point at which the story jelled and I could go looking for just the right adjectives and action verbs and I thought, "this is so much FUN!" That was a significant turning point for me as a writer - to switch from the "how hard it is" to the "how fun it is."

Donna K. Weaver said...

Seriously, why would be subject ourselves to all this if not because we love it? How many writers--who will never be published--nonetheless keep writing?

Forget the fame thing anyway. Eck!

Cassie Mae said...

Can I just second everything Donna said?

Cuz she totally stole my answer! Lol.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

And I second Cassie Mae and third Donna! :)

S.P. Bowers said...

While it would be awesome to have enough people love my book that I could be famous I'm much more a hide in the basement type person. I'll settle for just being able to write.

Imogen said...

I love my writing, though I'm more of a closet writer. I don't drag it into my conversation, mainly because the people I talk to wouldn't understand my love of writing anyway.

For me, the best part about writing is the writing, not the thought of getting published. I enjoy every word I write, and love getting to know new characters and stories. Who needs fame when you have writing?