Dec 30, 2011

New Year's Resolution - Quit Making Excuses

For about three years now I have wanted to write.  But I didn't.  I would visit author blogs, went to a couple conferences, would get all excited about writing, but then didn't. 

Why?

Primarily because I told myself I didn't have the time.  There was really only one semester when that was true and that was because I was writing a Master's Thesis. 

I told myself that I couldn't write because I had a job and three kids and I just didn't have time. 

I have set a couple writing resolutions with this in mind.

1. Write 1,000 words a day. 

I know lots of people can do more, but until this bad boy is a habit, that's got to be it.  That's the difference between someone who is going to workout more, runs three miles and lifts for an additional 30 minutes and one who jogs a mile, hits the bike for a mile and uses a couple weight machines.  Start small and build is the only way I have had any success at anything.

2.  Read more.

Last year was a HORRIBLE reading year for me - I'm not even really sure what happened, which probably means the TV was on lots.  My husband completely spoiled me with a new tablet - Nook and Kindle apps are downloaded and I'm ready to read.

3. Get the whole publishing pitch and query thing figured out. 

I figure once I get through my first revision of my WIP, this needs to move up as a higher priority.

4. Find some way to thank everyone who has been so helpful and kind to me as I've truly started this process.

Seriously, you guys are AMAZING!!!  I'm so, so grateful.  It looks like I'm slowly creeping up on 100 followers - maybe that will be my chance...

What are you doing to have your writing this year be better than last?

10 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I just saw a blogging group on Clarissa Draper's site that is "100,000 words in 100 days." That fits perfectly with your writing goal!
And my main goal is to complete a third book by summer.

Miranda Hardy said...

I hope you can stay on top of your plans. No more excuses! I plan on writing more, of course, but I plan on getting something out within the next year. Fingers crossed for both of us.

J. A. Bennett said...

You just thanked us! This is a web of help and be helped, and thank goodness for it! I think your awesome and those goals sound great!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Tasha -- I also have a full time job (5th grade teacher, here) and two kids and a husband (and a dog). One thing that I've found helpful for finding time to write is to select certain "designated writing times" for myself. That is, instead of trying to squeeze in a little bit of writing here and there, it's useful to block out longer stretches a couple times per week.

You might want to check out Tina Laurel Lee's writing group, The Practice Room. I host a writing session every Monday night, and there are others scheduled throughout the week. My family knows that Monday nights are mom's night to write. They respect it, and they don't interrupt it.

Here's a link: http://tinalaurellee2.blogspot.com/

Cherie Reich said...

You have some great goals there for the new year! I want to write more and not get so stuck in editing the same things over and over again.

Kim Van Sickler said...

Good luck, Tasha! You've got some ambitious goals. Swagger and two other bloggers are putting up an accountability post on New Year's Eve to try and force us to stick to our goals. We'll be checking-in mid-year to see how we're doing. I'd love to find out your progress mid-year!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Not to put too fine a gloss on it, but last year, in terms of writing pretty much #$%^! So I'm going to do pretty much everything different or better or something! One thing I've really enjoyed is the blogging community and getting to share with so many other writers. That I will keep the same :)

Cortney Pearson said...

Great goals. For me I'm going to study writing a little more and try to improve my writing. There are some really great reference books out there, as well as conferences (though the books are cheaper, ha ha).

Clarissa Draper said...

That would be super cool if you did the 100K in 100 days! I am super busy but I always make time for writing. And it really is MAKING time because time will never just happen. Happy to find your blog--am a new follower!

Andrew Leon said...

You know, you don't even have to start with something as high as 1000 words. Terry Pratchett started out doing just 400 words a day. That was my first goal and still how I measure what I'm doing. Usually, when I'm writing, I'm doing more than 1000 words a day, but I -feel- like I'm doing what I need to do if I'm hitting 2000 words a week.

Find the goal that you know you can succeed at and start there.