Dec 2, 2011

Proving I'm Serious about this Writing Thing

Over the last 3-4 four years, I have dabbled with the writing idea.  I thought it would be fun, but kept putting it off for whatever reason - Master's, kids, supporting a family in a crashing economy, you know, ridiculous things like that. 

I would attend creative writing conferences at SUU (local university) geared towards teaching students about writing and some that were even for the students and I went as an adviser.  I attend UVU's Book Academy three (?) years ago and after each of these, I felt a draw to writing, but kept excusing it away.

This year I went to the Book Academy again, as I had been meeting with a critique group regularly (deadlines are GREAT), did a local writer's workshop and continue to meet with my critique group.  I have been getting decent feedback on where my WIP is going, have been shedding my cowardly lion costume, told myself my excuses SUCK and that if all the people out there who are getting published and have the success they desire WHILE still doing all their busy day to day things, why not me?

Why.
Not.
Me.

NaNo taught me that the illusive 1,000 words a day is absolutely doable for me.  Because I made it a priority, it is doable. 

My critique group meets to discuss between 10 & 15 pages of our text every two weeks. 

And to prove to myself I'm really serious, I gave myself a little more of a long term goal. 

I signed up to participate in the Publication Primer and for a pitch session at the LDStorymakers Conference. 

This is my proof that I'm serious.  This is the dream I'm chasing. 

I'm all in.

11 comments :

Cristina said...

YAY for committing yourself fully!

rosalyn said...

Go Tasha! :)

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

That's awesome! I look forward to hearing your progress!

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

That's awesome! I look forward to hearing your progress!

Cortney said...

Woot! Good luck!! I've heard that's a great conference.

Jenilyn Tolley said...

I'm going to that conference too! I'll have to find you and say hi.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Good for you! Good luck reaching your goals!

Leigh Covington said...

YAY for you! That is awesome proof that you are serious! I love it! Good luck at Storymakers! Hopefully I will see you there!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

You're doing it! Good for you!

Rena said...

Exactly!

Why.
Not.
You?!

Good luck. I think it's a great idea to have a goal in mind and then tackle that goal like its eyeing the last piece of pecan pie. "No way, goal. That pie is mine."

or yours.

You know what I mean.

S.P. Bowers said...

My sister in law has gone to LDSstorymakers a few times and really enjoys it. Hope you do too.