Dec 20, 2011

Twas the Week Before Christmas

 

I'm participating in Susanna Hill's First Annual Holiday Contest.  I have my students write parodies of Twas the Nigh Before Christmas every year, but this year I didn't write one with them, so this is the perfect chance.  


Twas the week before Christmas and throughout the home
Small temptations were bugging wherever I roam.
The diet was suffering, it didn't really have a chance
Rather than fall victim, I took a firm stance.

My ability to resist just didn't work out
The thought of the scale made me want to pout
But who can say no to a great homemade treat
And those Mint M&M's - they just can't be beat.

There was a necessity of calories to burn
The plan was to give the muscles a turn.
A class a day, on a bike, was the plan
Better than delicious sweets on a ban.

Spinning class, each day of the week
Making sure the pounds, on me, don't sneak.
That was the plan of action, the way to success
Ensuring the scale number won't reach excess.

It was easier to write this in past tense, but this is my plan for this week.  Trying not to kill my legs too soon so we (my legs and I) can make it through the week :)

15 comments :

Penny Klostermann said...

Wow! I think you hit home with all of us!! With all of the great food during the holidays we will all need "a plan!"
Fun poem!

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Hee hee! I so need that spinning class lol.

mybabyjohn/Delores said...

So hard to resist the goodies.... hang in there.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Hahahaha! LOVE it! And clearly, I need a better plan than I have. (Which is really no plan at all. Sigh. Better get to work!)

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Oh, the brownie crumbs just dropped on the keyboard ... now where was I? Oh, yeah, I can relate. Not doing spin class, but should be. Enjoyed this and good luck with the plan.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Wow! You have managed to write an entry, express your goals, and make me feel guilty for sitting on the couch with a brownie while I read people's stories, all at the same time! Awesome job! :)

Lillie McFerrin said...

This is so cute! Well done :) Best of luck with your plan!!!

Elizabeth Stevens Omlor said...

I loved it from the get-go. This time of year it is so difficult to resist all the goodies!

thegracefuldoe said...

I'm glad I'm pregnant this holiday season--it gives me an excuse to indulge without feeling too guilty.

Good luck with your spin class!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Wow - a rhyming contest entry put up in a flash - and it's nonfiction! Amazing (I know I dug deep into fictional realms to pull out my rhymes). Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Julie Hedlund said...

I think you should re-enter this one in whatever New Year's challenge Susanna cooks up! :-)

This Kid Reviews Books said...

Nice poem! It's good to remember to eat healthy and excersise (even during the Holidays!!)!
Erik ;)

Patricia T. said...

Enjoyed your poem! We all can relate. Love how original every poem is.

Lori Degman said...

Very funny - but too true! That's why I gave up chocolate - it's too hard to have just one!!

Jarm Del Boccio said...

Yet another spin on the original...good job! There are so many temptations over the holidays, aren't there?