Dec 12, 2011

Upcoming Writing Goals

I meant to post this on Friday, but then had my back go out on me and have been fighting off an infection (tis the season) and just went into survival mode for a few days.





Upcoming goals for my current WIP


Finish first draft by December 31, 2011 (a two week break from my job will really help with this one)

First plot hole, consistency, fix all the stuff that I changed to red font to indicate as crap revision by March 15, 2012

Make it beautiful revision by May 1, 2012

Somewhere in there I need to figure out what to expect in a pitch session (I need a book like I had when I was pregnant - you know, What to Expect when You're Expecting...something like that.  Suggestions?)

I also need to put together a list of agents who represent the kind of thing I'm writing, do some research, visit all those places I haven't been to yet but that everyone says is amazing because I told myself I wasn't there. 

I also have a story idea that keeps knocking on the door in my brain, wanting to come out, but I told it there was no room and it had to wait.  Sure, I write down all the things it whispers through the windows because I think there is something good there, but I won't let it in. Not yet. 

That will get me through the next six months pretty well.  As always, I'm open to suggestions as to how these may be accomplished easier, lessons from those how know, etc. 

What are your goals?  How are you going to make them happen?  What's the plan of attack?

11 comments :

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Hey Tasha! I love goals, and I love the way you expressed yours: "Make it Beautiful by
May 1st."

I think I may publish a book of bedtime poems for little ones - looking into cost

And, over the holidays I want to do some reading of other people's books.

Then I'm starting my next novel. Cannot wait. I need some rest, so I haven't set "by when" goals yet, but I've found that really works.

Good Luck with yours!

Sarah Pearson said...

Revise, rewrite, repeat as necessary.

That's all I've got :-)

E.R. King said...

Good for you for making goals into the new year! I'm sticking with the "one day at a time" plan, but that's because I'm in revisions. I'll get to my extended my goals after Christmas.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Good luck with the goals and hope you're feeling much better!

J. A. Bennett said...

I have a similar plan of attack (at least I plan on getting my MS polished by May anyway) I hope everything goes well for you!

S.P. Bowers said...

Great goals. I keep failing my goals but I hope to be querying this spring.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Ha ha ha! Crap revision. That's hilarious. And totally true! I have lots of those.;) Good luck with your goals! I need to figure out mine now!

Melanie Fowler said...

Hello Tasha,

It's good to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading your blog and getting to know you.

Writer Moms Unite!!!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Best of luck with everything! I took a pitching class from Elana Johnson that got me ready. You might email her and ask if she's willing to email her power point. She's really nice, so she probably would. That's what really helped me get ready!

As far as goals: get all the things standing in the way of me starting my next book taken care of within the next three days, then write, write, write! (Until I get my editorial letter, at which point I'll have to switch gears.)

Jillian said...

Great goals. I wish I could offer advice, but I'm not at the pitch session point of the process yet either. Best of luck with everything though!

Catherine Ensley said...

Hi. If you can accomplish all of that by May, and also work full time, my hat is off to you. I'm not sure I could, but you're a lot younger than me. :) It's always best to challenge ourselves. Good luck on your goals.