Dec 5, 2011

Why Wait for January 1st

Over the weekend I read the perfect article.  I know, quite a statement, but true.  Over at Write It Sideways, there was a discussion about dreaming and goaling.  Sure, this is something that will probably overwhelm the internet in about four weeks, but I think now is a better time to start thinking about it.

One of the things that I have heard repeatedly from those in the Land of the Published is the importance of daily goals, but good ones.  The article really expounds on it, but I do think  it is something to be noted. 

Dreams have to exist, plain and simple.  They are the necessity of why we are currently doing what we are doing.  But sometimes, the problem with artistic people is that they dream really well, and accomplish those dreams, well, not so well.  One without the other simply cannot lead to success. 

So, measurable goals. 

1. Go read that article

2. Sit down and really think about your dreams.  Seriously, outside the Milky Way is the limit for this one.

3. Start planning your goals.  I like the end to now format - this is where I want to be and these are the steps I need to take to get there, which means tomorrow, this needs to be accomplished for me to be on my way. 

4.  Get your loved ones on board.  Let them know of the mini due dates you are giving yourself to get beyond the Milky Way.

5.  Quit making excuses. 

6. (optional) Write a blog post about your goals.  If more people know about your goals, they will be there to check in on your, encourage you to keep going, push through, etc.  And we all know that the online writing community is THE BEST out there. 

I am figuring out #2 right now.  This week, I am going to make it through the list, hopefully posting #6 on Friday. 

If you decide to do this, please leave a comment.  I would love to swing over and see where you are headed with your future. 

What are your secrets to success?  How big are your dreams?  And what are you going to do to make sure they happen?

3 comments :

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

You're so right! I'm good at dreaming, not so good at planning. I think I need a personal trainer to break my dreams down into manageable sized goals so I know what I need to accomplish each day :)

KarenG said...

I'm extremely goal oriented and I look forward to Jan 1 each year to revamp my current goals and make new ones. Well, never mind, I do that at least 3 times a week! I love setting goals! Achieving them is even more fun!

Guilie said...

Yep, I read that post too and loved it. I'll definitely be working on these SMART goals this week :)