Dec 14, 2011

Working towards Genius

“Constant effort and frequent mistakes are the stepping stones of genius.” ― Elbert Hubbard

I just saw this quote and the first thing I thought of was all my writing friends on the world wide web.  I love when someone realizes the story needs to be in a different POV or a minor character needs to be major - or not exist at all. 

Are these things fun to realize?

Not always.  But the nice thing is it means we are on the path to becoming geniuses. 

One of my favorite things about reading writing memoirs of well established authors is seeing that, for most of them, there were problems, issues with imaginations that expected the unrealistic, disappointments, rejections, scraping whole stories, etc. 


The key for them to becoming the geniuses that we all know them to be was the fact they were constant.  Sometimes the jump to the next stepping stone seems miles away, but we just have to keep trying. 


We have to have faith that there is something there, something more, and that we can have our desired success if we just trust in ourselves. 

Who are the geniuses that inspire you?  How do you keep going amid the frustration? What has taught you to trust in yourself?

4 comments :

E.R. King said...

Ah, the faith aspect. I think faith has a huge part in my writing, which is why I pray about my writing a lot. It helps, I don't know how, but it does. Maybe it's just talking it out with The Big Guy, but I always find a solution to my problem after a pray.
I think of this scene in Indiana Jones often. Thanks for sharing!

Cortney Pearson said...

Love this quote! I'm with E.R., I pray a lot over my writing also! My CP's also help me to keep going, as well as the fact that I love what I do, I love my characters and my stories! Great post.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

My crit partners keep me going. They're amazing and always seem to know when to kick me in the pants when I'm having a down day. :) And I love Indiana Jones by the way. Great post. :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love the quote and Indiana Jones :) When I find the answer to your question, I'll let you know :)