Jan 16, 2012

Early or Late?

I have always loved mornings.  I love the quiet that comes from a house where everyone is sleeping, the ability to work with a refreshed mind, a cold Diet Coke and no distractions.  I also love to workout in the morning.  This was fine until I started writing again and every week, I have the debate with myself of which I want to do more - write or hit the gym?
I have been trying to write at night, but find that the productivity just isn't what I could get in the morning.  By that time I've had said workout, taught teens, played the role of soccer mom make sure you get your practicing and homework done, cook dinner, remember that I really am not good at math...

Here's the thing - I know I'm not alone on this one.  I've been trying to explore my options to get better writing time in.  I know when Firoozeh Dumas started writing, she got up at four.  Granted, that's just an hour earlier than what I currently do, but can I really do that?   Or are there some magical secrets to writing later into the night that as a habitual early bird, I missed out on?

How about you?  Are you a night owl or an early bird?  When is your favorite writing time?


13 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm at work in the morning, and while I can do my blogging then, it's not a good time for writing. I do most of mine in the evening in the quiet of my office.

S.P. Bowers said...

I'm an early bird and personally I exercise (or try to) in the morning. and write after the toddlers are in bed. They're early birds too. I'm not always in a mood to do it. Often, having a not quite two year old and a not quite three year old, I feel as if I've been run over by a steamroller. But usually, once I sit down and open the document, I get into it and feel revived. Some evenings I may only work half an hour before falling asleep but I did it.

Emily R. King said...

I work well in the morning, but not the early morning. I mean from 6 am on. Anything before that and my brain is as fuzzy as it is after 10 pm. I'm completely useless.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

My best writing has always come at night. I can pick at it all day (as I probably will do today, since I'm off work). But I don't really get going until night time.

The later it gets, the easier it comes, but it does become a race to see how much I can get done before I tip over into sleepiness and nonsense. On weekends, I usually quit by 1:30 am and go to bed.

On a side note, you should see my post today about The Practice Room. Maybe that would help you find a good time to commit to writing.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I have the exact same problem! I want to do EVERYTHING in the morning - exercise, write, clean the house... Awesome though I am, I haven't figured out how to do everything at once :)

Cristina said...

I'm definitely an early bird. I've tried writing later in the day or even at night, but by then my brain is fried.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I go to the gym in the morning, I aim to check email and blogs over my post-gym snack and cup of tea, and start writing at noon over lunch.

I like eating while I work, a throwback from when I had to do that.

In reality, although the gym happens as planned, I sometimes get sidetracked by blogs and don't get to the writing at all!

KarenG said...

Early morning hours are my favorite! (So is the cold diet Coke)

julie fedderson said...

I love to work out in the morning. My ideal day would be work out, shower, then spend the rest of the morning with the WIP and a pot of coffee. Unfortunately, I have to fit the day job in there most days, so usually I end up writing late at night after everyone else is in bed.

Sophia Chang said...

I'm such an extreme night owl I'm an early bird. We're probably up around the same time but in vastly different states of our day :P

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I usually blog in the morning and write new material in the evenings.

Yvonne.

Nancy Thompson said...

I do both. But then again, I write all day, too. I think I prefer late night though. I know nobody will disturb me and I can read my work out loud. I think night time works best for me because I am so highly stimulated by that point and I can draw on all that.

Nancy said...

I prefer late night but that doesn't really work since no matter what time I go to bed the kids still get up at the same time. So I don't have a good consistent schedule. Good luck getting one established.