Jan 30, 2012

NiNoCon Reminder and Blog Hop

First, just a reminder that NiNoCon is this Saturday!  You know you want to be there, even if the indie/self-published route isn't one you are interested in.  There will be an abundance of knowledge, and it's FREE so that makes it even more amazing.  




This is a blog hop hosted by Lillie McFerrin, Angela Goff, Angie Richmond and Daniel Swensen.  Today is the last day to enter, but that means you still have today!  We were to write a piece of flash fiction (300 words or less) using the picture below as inspiration.  Join the link at the bottom and jump to one of their websites for the info.

Here's my entry.

We hear about it all the time – the illusive light at the end of the tunnel.  It is supposed to be this place of warmth and happiness after death, but I didn’t really know what to expect from the light.  Because, let’s face it, not all light is good.  And if your tunnel has a slight downward slope, there would be light, but it wouldn’t be warmth and happiness.

Luckily, as I was walking toward my light, I could tell it was uphill, but I still found myself looking behind, wondering if the light really could be better than everyone I had just left behind.

Then I remembered who could be at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe it would be like a waiting room and she would be sitting on the couch, reading, her right leg crossed over her left, keeping a beat to whatever song was running through her head at the time.

It had been too long, and we never really had the chance to say a proper goodbye – not with the way she left.  The thought of her made me quicken my pace, longing for the light, for her.

It was a softer light than I thought it would be.  A single light bulb hanging delicately in a forest.  It was not what I imagined, but how does someone really imagine something that no one has ever really seen.

I felt it – the peace that I hoped for, that had been so evasive since she left.  Then it happened.  That soft light gradually got brighter, so much that I wanted to look away, but something inside told me not to.

My reward came with the new light as the love of my life emerged from the trees.

I dropped to my knees, overcome by unearthly joy.










18 comments :

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Great to read, have a good blogfest.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That was beautiful!

Jess said...

The prose suited the photo perfectly~ thanks for sharing!

Julie Daines said...

Nice! Sound like a fun blog hop! Good luck.

Emily R. King said...

Thanks for NiNoCon reminder. I'm really looking forward to it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A bittersweet piece with a happy ending!

Clarissa Draper said...

Wow, so cool. I have never read about a person walking towards the light in so much detail. Well done! And a happy ending.

David P. King said...

That's a smashing entry, Tasha! Glad to see you've joined the hop. :)

Erin Shakespear said...

Tasha! That's beautiful. Great job.

Angela Cothran said...

Beautiful writing Tasha :)

Huntress said...

Another great entry for the BlogHop.
Super

Leigh Covington said...

Awesome entry Tasha. Very clever take on it. I wish I could have brainstormed something for this. My mind has been blank. It's ridiculous.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Nice work! I really enjoyed your entry!

Lynda R Young said...

Great entry. That's certainly an inspirational pic.

Bullish said...

Love the concept of walking into the light with excitement and an expectation of who was waiting for you!! :)

Jo-Anne (jtvancouver) said...

Lovely! Your story is filled with hope!

Coleen Patrick said...

Nice! I especially love the last line Tasha :)

John Chapman said...

I really like the bit about a tunnel with a slight downward slope. Very clever.