Jan 18, 2012

Temptation Island..er...WIP?

First off, I added an About Me page and changed things up a bit.  Let me know what you think!  Did anyone see a ninja?

I don't know how it happened.  I had it - my story - my passion.

And then one night, it was there looking all cute and innocent - just a small little idea that was captivating enough to consider.

Captivating enough to write down.

Captivating enough to name characters.

Then my mind started to wander.  And the idea grew - just a little.  The idea for the setting.  For a possible love interest.  I wondered what life would be like with this one.  It is COMPLETELY different from my current WIP, which makes it fresh and new and inviting.

And then, when I was supposed to be working on my main squeeze - my WIP - I thought about that idea again.  And I wanted to write it.

I've made so many commitments to WIP that I can't spend any more time with the "other" idea.  It just has to wait.

But it is oh so tempting.

How do you keep your focus on the main WIP that is the project that must be completed?  Do you allow yourself to test other waters or do you maintain a monogamous writing relationship?  

15 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good you added a bio page!
If I'm lucky enough to get one good idea, I hang to that sucker, because they don't come in batches for me.

J. A. Bennett said...

I would just write it. It's way too fun to get a new idea, you can edit your other thing when your done with this book ;)

Jessica Salyer said...

I have a little notebook, when I get an idea I just write the gist of it down so I can come back to it later.

Alice said...

Sometimes I switch back and forth between novels I'm working on. When I get stuck on one, I work on the other one for a while and then go back, but I had trouble finishing and polishing a novel, so I've had to focus on one at a time for a while. I have a new Idea I want to explore but need to finish the rewrite of the one I'm working on first.

Angela Cothran said...

This is so hard. Sometimes I indulge a little in the new idea, because I worry if I don't write it down I will lose it.

Emily R. King said...

I'm monogamous. I do branch out by writing for my blog and participating in blogfests. These help break up the monotony.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Oh, man. It depends on the project. If I have a great idea, I'll work on that and if I get stuck I work on something else. If I'm finding I have to force myself to write something when another idea is popping up in my brain all the time, I set it aside and work on my new one. :) It just depends on what I'm working on I think. :) Good luck!!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

If I have a good idea about a poem I usually write it down asap.

Loved the read.

Yvonne.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Yeah, I'm not so good with the focusing :) If something grabs me I go with it while the interest is hot - who knows where it will lead? The other things will always be there waiting!

J. A. Bennett said...

Hey Tasha! Just popping in to let you know I gave you an award :)

Leigh Covington said...

You're so awesome! I swear I wrote 4 half books before my current WIP. I feel like this is "the one" but sometimes I get distracted. That's what notebooks are for tho! Just jot down that idea and move to it later. I realized if I don't do this, then nothing will EVER get DONE! Agh!

R. J. Ropsen said...

I usually start with whatever inspires me at the time. My first project was a dysotopian trilogy. I finished the first book and then was going to get started on the next one. But I wasn't inspired to write it at the time because I had a new idea in my head. I switched my writing to focus on my new idea and completed the project. Now I am back to writing the second book of the series. I do stay on one novel when I start writing it but I felt that I needed a break from the genre. Hope you find what works for you as a writer.

Nancy said...

I think that depends on you. I tend to never go back and finish when I do that but you may have better discipline.

Jenna Cooper said...

I think it's manageable to work with two projects at once (at least I'm telling myself that because it's what I'm doing). But it's probably all individual.
Thanks for the follow, I followed back. You have an awesome blog going on here. :)

Juliana L. Brandt said...

Yep- I totally understand the draw of a new project. I would advice not to touch it until this first project is over.