Feb 6, 2012

I'm Hearing Voices - Character on the Couch


This is the first part of the I'm Hearing Voices Blogfest.  We need to pick a character - one that is hard for us to write, and interview them.  The character I picked, when I first started writing her, she was passive, unsure and reactionary.  Some of that is her character but she was too much of a doormat.  So I'm trying to make her more.

This is Allison.

1.  What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?  

I am very loyal - which sounds good, but sometimes I put what might be best for me behind my concern for others.  No one else knows this - I even took a back seat in a possible relationship because my friendship was so dear to me.

2.  What do people believe about you that is false?

A lot of people think I'm married to my work.  That may be true, but it isn't by choice.  Marriage didn't happen for me, so I dedicated myself to another love - math.

      3.  What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?

My indecisiveness.  I am really good at math, but the analytical skills that allow me to have success my job get entirely too much in the way in my life.

4.  What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?

My kindness and sincere desire to see others happy.  I think the best day of my life was when I served as the maid of honor for my best friend.  I'm pretty sure I was happier than she was.

5. What do you want most? What will you do to get it?

This is difficult, because I have the chance to have what I lost so many years ago, but it came at a huge cost, so I'm torn between excitement over the possibility and sadness because of how it presented itself.

Thanks to Cassie and Angie for hosting!  Jump over here and here to see who else is participating and join in the fun :)

Which character has been difficult for you to write?  What is it about him/her that has been challenging?


31 comments :

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Good luck with the blogfest.

Yvonne.

Miranda Hardy said...

Allison does seem a bit shy. Great voice and interesting character. It would be great to read how's she's changed throughout the years because of her choices.

Kyra Lennon said...

Allison seems like a down-to-earth, lovely gal! I'm very interested in her answer to the last question!

Cristina said...

oh, I just want Allison to GO for it. LOL
I'm already rooting for her and I don't even really know the story :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Too analytical - I can relate!

Tara Tyler said...

a totally different character! i love her (esp about the math!)
i'd love to hear an exciting story bring out some spunk to put herself first =)

great voice!

Emily R. King said...

Allison sounds like a friend I'd like to have!

David P. King said...

Yet another amazing character entry! I like this Allison. :)

Cassie Mae said...

I love Allison already because she seems so good. Like totally genuine! Love it!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

A decent person, bruised by life and her life choices. A great interview, your new follower, Roland

L. Diane Wolfe said...

She needs to find her own joy and love!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

This is very cool! An interesting way to get to know your characters. Did you think up your own questions, or was that part of the blogfest?

Morgan said...

Fun, interview! Nice work, Tasha! :D

Sara said...

I can see that she is used to being a doormat like you described, but she seems aware of it, and that's the first step in getting over it right?

Nice work!

Angela Cothran said...

Tasha--I love loyalty as a vulnerability! Allison sounds so real. I think that is what I like the most!

Patricia T. said...

Tasha,
I like the idea of interviewing your character to flesh them out a little more. Fun interview with Allison.

I awarded you the Kreativ Bloggers Award. You can catch it at my blog site: http://childrensbooksheal.com/2012/02/06/kreativ-blogger-award/

Have been reading your blog for only a few weeks, but I enjoyed what I've read.

Warmly,
Pat

Leigh Covington said...

Allison sounds wonderful! The conflicts and strengths are perfect for her plight. I love it! Great job!

Cortney Pearson said...

Allison seems very sweet. Great interview!

Hildred said...

I've been loving this blogfest, and now we're in the same campaign! Nice to meet you!

Susan Roebuck said...

This blogfest is lovely and Allison sounds a sweetie. I'm popping over to say hi from the Campaign

Sherri said...

Thanks for the follow on my blog!

I like your character's last answer the best. The reader really sees the struggle she is presented with. I also like her answer to the previous question too where she thinks she was happier than the bride. That was good!

The character I chose to write about for this blogfest has probably been my greatest challenge. I originally just intended for him to be an antagonist in the story. He is a murderer and how he murders is quite revolting. Then I got to wondering if he could be redeemed. So, my challenge was to take a character who sickens me and change him into a person who can be endearing. He has become a prominent character in my current WIP.

T.D. McFrost said...

This was fun!

So glad to meet you Tasha! I'll call you Tasha Fierce from now on, 'cause you are on FIAH! ^_^

Jenny S. Morris said...

Great job!

Sarah said...

It's lovely to see someone that seems so genuinely selfless. I really like Allison!

J. A. Bennett said...

These exercises can be sooooo helpful. I had this issue just last week (I even talked about it on my blog) but I think I'm figuring everything out ;)

Carol Kilgore said...

It would be interesting to read how Allison grows stronger in both defining what she wants and what she will do to get it.

Sometimes characters hide a lot from us. Or at least mine do. Give her a big glass of wine and see what she says :)

Ashley Nixon said...

I can't believe anyone would love math! *shutters* It's really sad to see her give up so much for her friends, that is really loyal, but sacrificing so much she could have!

Hywela Lyn said...

I agree with Ashley!:)

Great interview, and Alison seems like a really nice person who needs to be loved!

Clarissa Draper said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have an excellent character here. We just learned so much with this blogfest.

Trisha said...

Ugh, I've just been told that one of my beloved heroines is in fact "passive" and a whiner. :P I was NOT intending to get that across! So it means serious rewrites in my future. I guess my point is I know what you mean about characters being too passive, now. ;)

She sounds like a lovely person but maybe a bit too timid to really go after what she wants.

Jenna Cooper said...

I could really hear her voice, it's really unique and real. Great interview!