Feb 8, 2012

I'm Hearing Voices - Dialogue Introduction


Before we get started with today's entry, I'd like to direct your attention to the left of this blog.  See that cool icon?  I have the honor to be one of the rotating instructors with Ali Cross's Ninja's Write blog.  I'm super excited about the opportunity and really think you guys need to swing over and check it out and read through the AMAZING information that was given at NiNoCon.  You will probably want to take notes.  Yup, that good.

For today's blogfest entry, we had to have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue - no back story, no internalization, just dialogue.

"Hello everyone.  I'd like you to meet the most beautiful woman in the world, my wife Anne."

"Joe, we aren't in the world.  And comparing me to everyone here is just ridiculous."

"Well, I think you are the most beautiful."

"Oh, you're sweet.  Shallow, still, but sweet."

"What do you mean shallow?  You know, not so many years ago, you would have been flattered by me calling you beautiful.  And now that you look like you did again, it's still the same."

"Fine. This is Joe.  We've been married for...how long?"

"Doesn't matter - they wouldn't believe us anyway.  They don't know about here.  Joe used to work as a banker, and now he helps people as they go through major life transitions."

"Yes, and Anne helps...um...counsel people who may be facing some challenges in their life, assisting that they make the best one for them at that time.  You know, Anne, the poor dears are going to be very confused by all this."

"That may be, Joseph, but we can't tell them more than that."

"I know.  Sometimes I just wish we could.  And you don't have to get upset with me."

"I'm not mad."

"You never call me by my full name unless you are mad."

"Since when?"

"Oh, I don't know.  World War One ring a bell?"

"Annie...you weren't supposed to say that.  Now what are they going to think."

"Sorry dear.  I just forget.  Delighted to meet you folks."

"Yes, it's a pleasure."

This has been so fun so far!  Again, swing over to Cassie's and Angie's and see what everyone else is writing today.

23 comments :

Cristina said...

These two are awesome, I'm so intrigued by them.. are they in some kind of afterlife?

Dianne Gardner said...

Yes, this leaves us wondering where they are. Interesting characters.

Nancy said...

nice snarky interchange, I'm thinking an in-between world but it does leave you wondering.

Danielle B. said...

Reminds me of myself and my husband. Except we ARE in the Earth and we havne't been forgotten how long we've been married. Love this!

Miranda Hardy said...

Very interesting and intriguing. I wonder what it is they actually do.

Deana said...

I love listening to married couples bicker:) Especially ones as old as these and when you can celarly tell they are doing it in a loving way:)

Rosalyn said...

This sounds like Grandpa Joe. Is it?

inluvwithwords said...

I enjoyed reading this. I've written a couple of stories in all-dialogue format. It's always challenging.

Cassie Mae said...

You had me from the first line! Totally cute and this is so what me and the hubs would say to each other... without the mystery of course :)

Tara Tyler said...

how fun! love characters who live thru the ages! and they are a cute couple =)
great slice!

Emily R. King said...

Cute couple! I want to get to know them better. Perhaps we shall have tea. : )

Kyra Lennon said...

I really want to know more about these characters, and where they are. Great job!

Angela Cothran said...

Tasha--This is great :) What great chemistry they have! I loved it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Interesting . . are they kind of like angels? or Afterlife Consultants?

Liked their banter!

Leigh Covington said...

Ha! Love it! A total husband/wife relationship! And so much mystery still. I want more info. More, MORE! :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Cute! And they're still in love! <3

Ashley Nixon said...

Awwwww. I love them!! But WWI?!? WHERE are they!?

Kelley said...

I've joined the Ninja's Write blog!!! So pumped for it :)

The voice here is awesome! Great job!

*New Follower!* So nice to *meet* you!

Emily Moir said...

Fun characters. Love the husband and wife exchange.

Sari Webb said...

I'd love to know where exactly they are! Sounds like some kind of afterlife. Great dialogue. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'd request a full. Love it!

Clare said...

Oh, this was very interesting. You can definitely tell they're an old married couple, they speak with such love and affection.

And I love the hints you threw about where they were. If I had to guess I'd say in the afterlife.

Excelleny stuff. :)

Sara said...

Im curious about whats going on with them.