Feb 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest

Tis the season for blogfests, and this one just sounded like lots of fun.  This is hosted by Alex Cavanaugh, DL Hammons, Katie Mills and Matthew MacNish.  The idea is that writers are supposed to write down their own origin - where they began as writers.

I remember loving to write books, but I actually have to good fortune to have a "book" I wrote in elementary called Mindy's Christmas.  It is a girl mouse who wants a new girl mouse doll for Christmas and the mouse Santa comes and brings her one.

I always made up stories, but never really believed I was that good.  Then I decided that I didn't want to be a creative writer, telling myself I was an analytical literary analysis type of writer.  When I got asked to teach a Creative Writing class, and my kids got old enough to share their imaginations, I remembered my own.

I dabbled in writing a little, but thought I was just too busy with jobs, kids, family, etc.  I was spending hours looking at cute crafting blogs but I hate crafting and knew I would never do any of those things.  I thought I'd get to writing eventually; I figured I had too much of a desire to write to let it be something I never really pursued.

Several things happened.  One, I met David Powers King and Elana Johnson at a conference, saw their passion for what they were doing, learned how the heck to really blog from Elana, and discovered that all the excuses I was making for why I couldn't write were the same things everyone else was doing and still writing.

Talk about an eye opener.  So I came home, started a blog, started following the blogs of people I met at that conference, followed advice and now, just four months after I started a blog, I've entered a first chapter contest, participated in several blogfests, am entering a pitch session, calling myself a writer (almost without hesitation) studied, met some of the most amazing people and have a passion for life that makes me so, so grateful for the kind people who are so willing to share.

I absolutely believe that dream can happen for me.

What about you?  When did your passion for writing start?  

32 comments :

Miranda Hardy said...

So glad you believe in yourself and had some great helping hands along the way.

Christine Danek said...

It's amazing how things fall into place. Good for you and believing in yourself. I was the same way--never thought I was good enough until I was told to shut up and do it. It's amazing how some people can get you movin'.

Melissa Bradley said...

I'm glad you foud such supportive people to help you on your way. You ARE a writer, but I know what it means to have that hesitation. It took me a long time to be able to call myself a writer without that catch. Thanks for sharing your wonderful origin tale.

Kyra Lennon said...

I love this, "calling myself a writer (almost without hesitation)" - because I struggle with this every day! I have been freelancing for almost two years, and I still hate saying, "I'm a writer," it sounds so very weird to me!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Oh Elana Johnson is my hero too. So lucky you got to meet her first hand. She is a blogging queen. A great example of how writers themselves can inspire other writers. Thanks for sharing your origins!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I started writing poetry late in life if you read my poem you will find out why.

Have a good day.

Yvonne.

Rosalyn said...

You forgot to mention how your crazy neighbor badgered you into being in a writer's group--when none of us were even really sure the group would last more than a month or so. And here we still are. :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Unless you try, you never know how good you will be.

M.J. Fifield said...

..."calling myself a writer (almost without hesitation)"

I'm so glad you've gotten to that point because it is so important. I personally can't do it yet but maybe some day.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Writing seems to be an infection that begins in youth.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Yay for you to have followed your passion! I started writing when I was pretty little, but didn't come to writing for children specifically until I was about 30!

Angela Cothran said...

Elana Johnson inspires me too :)

Emily R. King said...

I love that you were inspired by other writers who were flesh and blood to you. Awesome!

RachelMaryBean said...

Blogging is amazing, isn't it? I started about three months ago and it has been so inspiring! All these other writers are so great and so supportive of each other. I think I've accomplished more for my writing in these last few months than in the last three years before!

Julie said...

Very inspiring! And I love that you're calling yourself a writer, it took me a while to do that but once I did it was such a great feeling. Congrats on all you have already achieved! :)

Leigh Covington said...

Whoot-whoot! Huge shout out to David and Elana! Both are truly inspiring - as are YOU! Love your story and so glad you're doing it! I can't wait to meet you at Storymakers!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

What a wonderful story!
Isn't it great that we've come a long way from the image of an isolated author, banging away on a manual typewriter, completely cut off from society (except for phone calls from his editor, reminding him of his deadline ...)

I think I must be channeling some bad movie!

Anyway, the world of writing is now a social activity I'm proud to embrace!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, glad you ditched the crafting idea!!
Wish I'd learned the whole blogging thing before I signed my first contract. I do remember stumbling upon Elana's blog at some point. She obviously saw something, because she asked me to co-host a blogfest when I was barely 250 followers strong.

Allison said...

Love your comment about making excuses and seeing people with similar lives still writing. I find knowing other writers helps encourage me to keep at it myself. If they can do it, so can I, I say! And maybe I can even be an encouragement to other writers along the way.

Allison (Geek Banter)

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Nice when you reach that point where you can call yourself a writer w/confidence! Nice to meet you via the fest!

Tonja said...

That's wonderful that you found your passion and a community of writers. It's much more fun than crafts. :)

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you have gotten to the point were you can call yourself a writer and good for you for going after what you want.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love Elana and David! I'm glad you found your dream! And I'm impressed that you've accomplished so much in such a short amount of time!

Jolene Perry said...

Introducing myself as a writer was such a HUGE thing. Love your story :D

Erin Shakespear said...

I'm glad you finally got busy with this dream. It's nice to see you sucked into this world! {insert evil laughter}

Sophia Chang said...

I love stories about how people made the jump into going pro - and hearing Elana and David speak at a conference is a GREAT motivator.

Sarah said...

I've read a lot about how people were inspired by Tolkien and other writers from previous generations--it's really cool to see how you were motivated and encouraged by Elana and David! Great origin story :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Thanks for sharing your origin story, Tasha; it's cool to get to know you better.

DL Hammons said...

It's surprising how many writers go through a dormant period before they start to fully realize their potential. I'm glad to see you're on the way! Thank you for sharing today! :)

nutschell said...

How cool that you got to meet David and Elana!
Great to meet you through this blogfest!

your newest follower,
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Danielle B. said...

Loved how it all began for you. That book you made in your younger years. It reminds me of my kids. They all love to write and make their own books for Young Authors.
BTW, I tagged you in a post. I'd live to learn more about through my questions.

Jeremy Bates said...

Just keep believing your self and mix it up with your Imagination:)