Feb 21, 2012

Platform Building Campaign - Challenge #1

This is the first challenge of the Platform Building Campaign.  Our instructions:
Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “Shadows crept across the wall”. These five words will be included in the word count. 
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), do one or more of these:
  • end the story with the words: "everything faded." (also included in the word count)
  • include the word "orange" in the story
  • write in the same genre you normally write
  • make your story 200 words exactly!
 
This is a scene from my current WIP - at 200 words exactly!  YAY!!!


Shadows crept across the wall, memories playing out on the screen before me. This is what I thought it would be like when I first arrived – not so much the life flashing before my eyes but having the chance to look on who I was…what I did…  I was glad that the good was more prevalent than the bad and though I wasn’t the final judge, I was most often my own harshest critic.  It was nice to finally feel peace.

I couldn’t help but smile when I recognized the scene I got to watch.  Charlie and I were heading to a concert, and he showed up in a new orange Dodge Charger.  His intelligence never super ceded his sense of humor, and Dukes of Hazzard, as far as he was concerned, was the epitome of television. 

It was after that concert that he proposed.  The happiness I felt then was overwhelming and, looking back on the scene, I was still amazed at how that grew beyond what I thought possible. The screen skipped to our first kiss as husband and wife, I remembered the love, finally enjoying the tranquility I thought I could have. On the screen, everything faded.


If you liked this, I would love for you to go here, find my name (#98) and click like. 

If you were going to have a car from any TV series - what would you pick?



37 comments :

J. A. Bennett said...

I really liked that, happy memories of a life well lived. Great job!

Jess said...

Loved that. Definitely one of my favorites. Voting for you :)

I'm entry #19

Ainsley Shay said...

Great job!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You took a really different direction that the others - good job!
And I'll take the Batmobile, please.

Daisy Carter said...

Ah, this is bittersweet. I hope Charlie meets her in the after!

Erin Shakespear said...

Great job, Tasha. Sweet scene.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great piece, Tasha!

David P. King said...

I'll take Kitt from Knight Rider, please.

Awesome entry. There's a lot to envision. Nice one! :)

Alyssa said...

Nice job! I really liked this one! :)

I'm #37

Siv Maria said...

Interesting screening and wonderful take on the challenge. Nicely done.

Nancy Thompson said...

Aw, a nice, sweet story! Love that!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I like how this is from a WIP too.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Great job! Loved it! :D

Ann Cory said...

Unique, sentimental, and lovely. Good job!

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! Great story! I love the line: This is what I thought it would be like when I first arrived – not so much the life flashing before my eyes but having the chance to look on who I was…what I did…

As for cars from TV series, I'm a Batmobile girl. :)

Jess Stork said...

Kit from Night Rider... how cool is a talking car? Nice parallel between the screen and character's life.

Liza said...

Nice visual...the scene fading! Not sure about the car...perhaps Magnum PI's Ferrari? Oops, dating myself there! (Number 112)

Nancy said...

Did it, now I kinda wish I'd signed up, nice challenge. Great job.

Sally said...

I think that is a lovely piece - well done.

cbwentworth said...

Awww, this was very sweet. Great job! :-)

Dawn Malone said...

*Well done! Loved the Dukes reference. I have a thing for orange cars. This entry made me smile. Thanks for posting.
#131

Melanie Fowler said...

so sweet. I love that you pulled this from your MS. Let's us see what you write :)

Samantha Drane said...

This was very well written and a highly visual piece. I loved the sentimentality of it all, so in saying that, I am here to inform you that you have made the short list for round two. Congrats!

Miranda Hardy said...

It's refreshing to read something so sweet and vivid. Great job!

I'm not too keen on any specific car from a series or movie. I can't answer that question. lol

Ashley Nixon said...

I really liked how you used "and everything faded" Great job! And it was so sentimental, I could definitely see everything she was seeing and feel it, too.

alexia said...

Nicely done! Very bittersweet.

Cortney Pearson said...

Ohhh, I love this take on the prompt! Very sweet!! :D

Christy Farmer said...

Love the sentiment here, Good job! I'm #61.

bridget said...

Do you supose that's what it's like, your life's highlights on a big screen? Interesting take on this. Mine is #71

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, interesting twist. Nice to meet you through Matthew's blog!

Sarah Pearson said...

So poignant, I really liked this.

Nick Wilford said...

Sweet and heartwarming, what a nice idea to get to look back on the highlights from your life. It's not a TV series, but I want the time travelling Delorean from Back to the Future.

Traci Kenworth said...

Great--loved it!!

Stuart Nager said...

a bittersweet tale told well.

Tale Spinning #58

Christopher S. Ledbetter said...

I loved this. I'm here for the Platform Building Campaign and look forward to getting to know you and your work. ~Cheers

Melissa said...

Nice entry. Very sweet. = )

I'm #149
melissamaygrove.blogspot.com

C.M.Brown said...

I am going to use a comment made a couple of times from above - bitter sweet! Sad story!