Mar 12, 2012

Happy Writer Moments - Keep At It

I realized Monday's are a great day to start off the week, so I'm going to start a new series of Happy Writer Moments, talking about what was learned, things to look forward to, and reasons in general why writing is fantastic.

Last week was my week that makes me crazy, too busy, overwhelmed, stressed and all sorts of crazy.  I have jobs assigned to me that I don't think should be mine, always know it's coming, but no matter how much I really try to get organized and not let that week get in my way, it always does.

Healthy eating gets sacrificed.  Sleep gets sacrificed.  Writing gets sacrificed.

It was a bit of frustration for me to know that I needed to write and just couldn't really get quality time in.  But I still did some character development, figured out minor plot lines, nothing that really counts as meeting word count goals, but something that I could count as progression.

And that little bit delighted me.

See, before when life got crazy, I would just have writing take a complete back burner and then be all bummed that it didn't get done and frustrated that once again, my goals and the reality were too far off, that I was never going to be a real writer because I never wrote.  Sure, I wish things would have been different and I could have written more, but a little is better than nothing.

That's the funny thing about pursuing a dream, and probably the biggest thing I've learned since I started writing.  There is a huge tendency to berate ourselves over the things we didn't get to but wanted to, trying to write as fast as, as lovely as, as whatever as someone else.  But we need to remember that every little bit we make puts us further ahead and celebrate the accomplishment regardless of what we wanted it to be.

How do you help yourself "stay on target" - focusing on what has been done?  What are you doing this week to be better than you were last week?




13 comments :

Stina Lindenblatt said...

You see, I count those things as writing because they're essential to the story. And when that's all you can get in, that's fine too, because you are now slightly ahead of where you were yesterday. It's all progress toward writing The End. :)

I'm challenging my writing harder this week than I did last week.

Clare said...

Celebrating the little succsesses is a really good way to look at things.

Everything you do for you novel, be it writing 3000 words, ironing out some plot kinks, or adding to the character development is progress.

Well done for managing to fit it in, in a busy week.

I hope this week is a good one for you.

Kim Van Sickler said...

You have to celebrate the little things otherwise you'd drive yourself crazy. Every single day I berate myself for not getting everything done that was on my "list". Then I try and focus on what I did accomplish. Love the new profile pic!

Margo Kelly said...

I love the idea of celebrating the little things! Thanks for reminding me of that.

And - I've tagged you on my blog today. :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Little things in life to me are more rewarding. Enjoyed the post.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that the insanity of my tour is over I am ready to dive back into writing my third book!

Emily R. King said...

I'm the wrong person to ask for advice on this right now. I feel buried beneath all the work I have to do. I think I may even be taking a break from blogging land to catch up.

Good luck to you, Tasha!

Joshua said...

I'm not going to be sick in bed for 4 days this week like I was last week. I hope!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I need something to keep me on target lately. I've been way too distracted.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I have a huge whiteboard in my office and I write my goals with a deadline on them to encourage me.

Juliana L. Brandt said...

What a fabulous idea for a Monday post! :)

I try to have things ordered in level of importance. When I have the things at the top finished, then I move on to the next ones. Sometimes it works...sometimes, not so much ;)

Coleen Patrick said...

I don't know. Every time I think I have it figured out, I find myself back in that confusing space again. But I like what you wrote in your title--Keep at it!! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Definitely true! Even the little things are important.

I'm trying to figure out what story I'm going to work on next. I've been slacking on writing for too long.