Mar 21, 2012

Implementing Lessons Learned

First of all, I just realized there are ten writing days until the A to Z Challenge.  I have all my topics hashed out, but none of my posts written.  How about you?  And remember, this is open to any bloggers :)

As you may have guessed, I have spent the last little bit reflecting on how I can get to everything I want.  Two years ago, I was teaching classes I had never taught before, taking on the new role of primary financial provider and finishing my master's thesis.  I was burning probably two or three candles at both ends and it caught up with me hard, resulting in what was never tested but most likely swine flu.  It sucked.

I learned from that (thankfully).  All of us have our busy times and things just get sacrificed - in my case, this time around, it's been with the writing. But there are ways that I have gotten better.

I generally hit the gym at 5:00 am for an hour and then have to be at work by 7:30.  But as has been the case before, when I get really busy, I tend to get a little sick.  So, in learning from past experience, I'm giving myself permission to sleep in for that hour to fight off the bug.  This may seem strange, but I am the queen of guilt trips, and that includes giving them to myself.  

I really wanted to get two chapters to my writer's group, but instead they got about five pages, but that's better than nothing, right? 

Writer's are a little obsessive.  Okay, a lot.  At least about the things we want to be obsessive about.  The nice thing about this land of blog is that there seem to be trends.  There will be people who are all down at the same time, people who are all celebrating at the same time, and there seems to be a nice balance of the ebbs and flows.  

So, here's my thanks, to those of you who commented last time and those of you who share which part of the wave you are on.  Because with all the learning that has to go on with chasing this crazy dream, there's lots of realizations to be made.  Probably, the greatest, is the realization of ourselves. 

What has chasing a dream taught you about yourself?  How do you make yourself see the good when none of it feels that way, and how do you celebrate the small victories, even if they are moral?  


11 comments :

alessahinlo said...

I've been making steady progress on my A to Z posts. I have all my topics picked out and as of right now, I have A-J drafted up and scheduled.

elizabeth seckman said...

I am learning to enjoy the process. Every stage of the writing game has its headaches...and its joys.
Have fun with it!

Joshua said...

This reminds me that I need to edit some photos for the A-Z challenge. Thanks for that.

Angela Cothran said...

I'm learning that I can do hard things and that I can get past fear. It is quite empowering :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What it has taught me is I am way more capable than I ever thought possible. And that friendship really is the most important to me.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Chasing a dream has taught me that I make mountains out of molehills and find too many things to be anxious about in even the most wonderful moments.

When I have a small success, when I take a step forward, I wish I could enjoy it more!

Kelley said...

Chasing this dream has been fun and I've realized that I'm more than what I thought I was. I have talent in more areas than I thought and I'm meeting people I'd never thought I would. It's great to stretch what's possible. :)

Good luck with A to Z! :)

Jo said...

ha... I have not done a single thing. But I've thought about starting? :)

Jo
In Which We Start Anew

Peggy Eddleman said...

Great post!

I learned that lesson about getting sick when you burn too many candles, too. I think chasing a dream has also taught me the importance of balance-- that there are too many areas of my life that I'm just not willing to skimp on, and that means that my dream is going to get accomplished at a little slower rate than I hope it will. And it means that I will probably always be a turtle-writer. I THINK I'm okay with that. At least I keep telling myself I am. :)

Sarah Pearson said...

I've learned that nobody will hate you if you take a day or two off :-)

Susanne Drazic said...

I've changed my theme for the A to Z Challenge several times. Still trying to come up with a topic for each letter of the alphabet. I know it will all start falling into place in the next couple of days.
: )