Mar 9, 2012

The Peculiarity of Time

Have you ever thought about how funny time is?  I mean, think about it.  Sitting in a boring lecture about a subject you don't really care for with the annoying person near you sniffing every 30 seconds takes forever, but an hour on social media?  Lightning fast.

I have thought about  this a bit lately but especially as I'm writing this post, having just seen my brother for the first time in 25 months as he was serving an LDS mission.  I am very close to my brother and missed him tremendously while he was gone, but when I saw him, started talking to him, it was like it had been just days.

And then think about time with books.  There has never been an author who can write as fast as people read, but when a book is well written, readers want it to speed up and slow down at the same time.  There are scenes that, when I am reading, I will slow down, soaking in every single word, and others that are sometimes filler to get to the next key plot point, that I skim, getting the gist, but waiting for the meat of the story again.

One of the highest compliments I can give a writer is that their writing is so well done, so beautiful, that I never want to skim for fear I will miss part of the experience.  And I have had the good fortune of reading three books (pictured) in the last month that made me slow down and savor.

I think, when it comes down to my ambition as a writer, it is that I will make people slow down, really want to enjoy and feel the language.  There are not many  experiences quite like reading a book that causes such joy, or makes me so happy to be giving of my time, as an enjoyable reading experience.

How do you find yourself amazed by time?  What are ways you have developed to make sure time doesn't become the enemy?  What books made you grateful that you gave up your time for the experience?




8 comments :

Cristina said...

oh The Scorpio Races, I'd happily give it more of my time, such an amazing book. As was The Time Traveler's Wife.

I just recently read Matched, so I'm excited to get to Crossed.

When a book is amazing, I just want to get lost in it and I don't care how long I'm lost for :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love books I can get lost in.

I really have to read The Scorpio Races, but I still have to read Forever. It's in my TBR pile.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I'm amazed how time goes so swiftly, It didn't seem very long I was planning a vacation to the US, well I went, had a good time and have been home for 2 weeks.
Bookwise if I get totally emersed in a book well time again passes quickly.
As the adage says "Time and Tide waits for no man".

Yvonne.

T. Z. Wallace said...

I have definitely been giving time a lot of thought. The 10th Doctor (in Doctor Who) once referred to time as "Wibbly Wobbly Timey-Whimey...Stuff." I have always thought that brilliant.

My WIP definitely centers around time and its non-linear aspects.

Last week, when I finally emerged from doing my grocery shopping at WalMart, I called my 9 year old and told her that anyone who thought time behaved the same everywhere was crazy, because in WalMart time seemed to be moving soooooo sllllooooooowwly, but when I got to my car, I realized I had been in there three hours.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Time is scarce these days for me! And I swear it goes by faster the older I get. When I was young, a day dragged forever.

Angela Cothran said...

I've been wanting to read The Scorpio Races. I'm so glad it is good :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Time gets away from me when I'm visiting blogs. (You've become part of my problem, Tasha).
I know what you mean about savoring certain authors. Brandon Sanderson and Charles Todd for me.

Sarah Pearson said...

I love books where I read faster and faster because I just HAVE to know what happens next, but then I have to go back and reread in case I missed something.