Apr 10, 2012

A to Z - Internet

The internet is the ultimate tango partner.
Seriously one of the best movie tangos.

The thing with a good tango is there is the right balance between love and hatred.  And I think that is ESSENTIAL to remember when dealing with the internet. 

I love the internet.  Some of my best friends are here, the wealth of knowledge accessible while sitting at my kitchen table is astounding.  I get my news, keep in touch with friends, bank, work all with help from the internet.  

And then there are the distractions.  Think about it - how many times have you sat down to write and pretty soon several hours have passed and you've played lots of fun games and found lots of dinner ideas that you probably will justify not making because you have writing to do, but the writing doesn't ever seem to really progress.

We have to hate the internet a bit.  That may mean not opening a browser window until the word count of the day has been hit.  That may mean not taking your turn on words with friends until that character is really fleshed out.  

Because if the tango doesn't go just right, 
someone could get killed.  

Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic, but you get my point.

Do you have the same love/hate relationship with the internet?  What are ways you have found to balance writing time with internet time? 


20 comments :

farawayeyes said...

Great way of putting it. I love to hate the Internet.

Kyra Lennon said...

I am terrible for wasting time on the internet! I can't seem to stop myself. Some days, I just have to pull the plug on it so I can work!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I'd be lost without the Internet as living alone blogging and facebook I have made many friends.
Yet one has to be careful as the Internet can be cruel especially when some annon comment upsets you.

Enjoyed your word and read today. A most apt word for the modern world.

Yvonne.

C.M.Brown said...

Good choice of word for 'I' and as yet the other blogs I have visited haven't posted about the internet. Interesting!

Nick Wilford said...

It's the second internet post I've seen today. The other advocated moderation too, which I think is key. I have to turn it off while writing, it's the only way. However, sometimes I have a break halfway through my word count goal and look at a couple of things - a break to do something different can help you refocus. Couple of times though, I never went back to the writing - yes it is dangerous!

elizabeth seckman said...

I have such a love/ hate thing going on, we could use couple's therapy!

Annalisa Crawford said...

But it calls to me, it lures me in and won't let go! At least, this month, I've got a really good excuse... erm, I mean - reason!

J. A. Bennett said...

I totally have a love/hate relationship with the internet, especially with Facebook. It's so darn distracting!

Lately I've been using write or die which starts to erase your words if you don't keep typing, it's real motivation to get things done!

Danielle B. said...

I have a FB page but rarely use it anymore. I occasionally post something but it's maybe once or twice a week. Lately I'm addicted to blogger and pinterest. Every once in a while I can't help but be on shutterfly all night. Moderation is key.

Joshua said...

One simple rule, and so far it's been mostly successful. The laptop is for writing, the iPad is for fun. If I stick to that rule, I'll be better off.

Bish Denham said...

You see, I have a laptop that has never seen the light of the internet. It is strictly for writing. No distractions.

Lynn Proctor said...

i didn't have the l-h relationship until this a-z thing only kidding, kinda

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't want to dance if it's going to kill me!
Most of the time (not this month of course) I have a set number of hours I will spend blogging. A lot of that I do at work. (My way of getting paid to blog!) But when I'm writing, I just step away from the screen and devote time to it.

M.J. Fifield said...

I absolutely do have the same love/hate relationship with the Internet.

And you're right. Mr. and Mrs. Smith's tango is seriously awesome.

Cassie Mae said...

The alt tab button is my best friend and my worst enemy. The WIP and internet are what I battle over during the day, but I challenge myself to write until I can't anymore before clicking back over to blogger.

Leigh Covington said...

I agree! It is a love/hate relationship. It's wonderful, but man... I can get carried away if I don't limit myself. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Love/hate is a great way to describe it.

a.eye said...

Love it and hate it. Right now, I am supposed to be doing at least 3 other things, but the Google Reader is keeping me hooked!

Andrew Leon said...

Farmville! I hate Farmville and can't quit playing!

Juliana L. Brandt said...

Bleh, totally love hate. Usually I try to get on the internet only when I've done a good job with my writing, but we all know how well that plan works out... haha :)