Apr 12, 2012

A to Z - Knuckleballs and Keepin' On

Remember the journey from last time?  And essential part of the journey means there are going to be things that go wrong?

They will.

There will be life, craziness, chaos, busy schedules, sick days...you get the idea.  Like likes to throw knuckle balls at us just when we think everything is in place to avoid them, and even though most of them don't bean us, it still does a number on the head.

So we need to adopt a mantra from our favorite perky blue fish, and remember than when things have insurmountable odds, the way the dreamers and the winners set themselves apart from the sulkers and the nay-sayers is to just keep swimming.

Well, let's reconsider.  Paper and water are NOT friends.  But the message still works.  If you want something to happen in your life, and life gets in the way, remember the goal.  Remember how badly you want that goal.  It may be publication, it may be completing that novel, it may be getting the story that is in your head and in your heart just down on paper for someone else to learn from.

Just keep saying over and over

Just keep writing, just keep writing, just keep writing

If you want to dance in the water while you are saying it, that's okay with me :)

How do you keep you eyes on the prize?  What are you doing to make sure you don't miss out on your dream?  





18 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just have to block out the bad stuff. And if you stay busy, you won't have time to be sidelined.

Kyra Lennon said...

I could use a really good mantra, but "Just keep writing" is more than I have right now lol!

Sarah Pearson said...

'Just write' has always been my mantra when I'm struggling :-)

elizabeth seckman said...

If at first you don't succeed, write write again.

Cassie Mae said...

Ah Dori, she is the wisest of all forgetful fish :)

mooderino said...

A little amnesia about the rejections also helps, i find.


mooderino
Moody Writing

Linda - Nickers and Ink said...

Thanks! Needed that extra kick, midway through the A to Z series. I'm doing six blogs ... Yikes.
Visiting as an A to Z blogger.

All on Blogspot.com and all in the A to Z Challenge:

Heart of a Ready Writer – Bible & Devotional
Meme Express – Daily Blog Prompts (A to Z)
Nickers and Ink – Featuring favorite classic poems from A to Z
Practically at Home – See what fellow writers are cited – with article links!
The Mane Point –Profiling special horses from A to Z
Working in Words – Writing How-to’s

Click my name/icon for links to all these blogs! Happy A-to-Z!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love it! Although I confess to not really writing--or actually editing--last week while I considered some input from my critique group. Of course this week's been crazy and I've not had time to write much now that I know what to do with the story. Ugh!

Patricia Lynne said...

Very true advice. Now I have Dory's song stuck in my head.^^;;

Julie Daines said...

I love Dory! Her advice is perfect for so much of life! This whole writing thing can be super hard, but persistence pays. (Not that I'm saying we can all get rich writing. ;) )

Jackie said...

Hi from the A to Z Challenge!
Love that mantra - Just Keep Writing. Thanks for the great post!

Clarissa Draper said...

I like that mantra. I'm going to have to learn to say it more often.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Loved the post, Good K word.

Yvonne.

Konstanz Silverbow said...

Love it! (Now I can't get it out of my head. . . just keep writing, just keep writing. . . )

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
A to Z C-host
www.a-to-zchallenge.com

Nicole said...

Dory is so wise! ;)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Some days the current is really strong but I try to keep swimming.

Nancy Stewart said...

Terrific post. Glad I read it.

Pop over to my blog if you've the chance. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series and a new book about Winter, the dolphin.

Thanks for sharing!

Susanne Drazic said...

Just Keep Writing - great advice!

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER