Apr 14, 2012

A to Z - Motivation

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately.  I didn't get this post pre-scheduled and then spent seven hours after school yesterday decorating for Prom (I'm the director).  I have an ankle that is missing some ligaments right now, so this was pretty taxing and by the time I got home and sent the kids to bed, I was beat.  And as I was falling asleep last night, all I could think of was needing the write this post.

When I got up this morning, all set to write this, I had a moment when I realized how appropriate this subject is for today.  I picked it in February, but it's pertinent because I didn't think I need to write 500 words, or I need to get some more going in my WIP because it didn't have the immediate, predetermined, people are going to know if I don't deadline.

I love writing, but more often than I would like to admit I don't write when I feel the draw because there isn't a burning deadline like there is with other things.  Then I found this chart, and it helped me figure this out.

My blog has met those top three systems in a way that a year ago I was desperate for.  But the difference with writing is I need to figure out those three elements for myself with my writing.

How do you keep your motivations aligned?  

12 comments :

Cassie Mae said...

I have to have a reader while I write to keep me motivated. I usually use my mom or my sister because they call me bugging me for the next chapter and yell when I tell them I haven't written it yet. Sure gets my butt in gear. :)

As for self motivation? I'm still working on that.

DL Hammons said...

I've seen that chart many times throughout my career, but this is the first time I've seen it (or thought about) applying it to my writing. Very nice!! :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Motivation is lacking right now. I can't pinpoint the reason why though. I guess I'm waiting on some replies so writing more doesn't seem relevant.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Motivation is different on different days and it will always be this way - for me anyway. Just don't make your goals unrealistic.

Clarissa Draper said...

I've been fighting with motivation lately. Especially when things are not perfect on the home front. I love that chart.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I end up with long breaks in between my writing and it takes a while to get going again. I am excited about my next project but need to get through this month first.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I try to keep at it like I would any other job even when things aren't going as planned

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I think motivation is the key word to many things not only to writing.Without motivation one can easily sit and vegatate.

Yvonne.

Melanie Schulz said...

I had a frightening flashback seeing that chart...Maslow.. you sucked away my youth. I had to look at you every day of Nursing school!
But actually, you're right. I work much harder with a deadline in mind, which of course is the wrong motivation.

susan said...

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is one way of looking at things that has survived the test of time as it makes such sense doesn't it.

Kelley Lynn said...

Right now, the voices in my head keep me motivated. :)

But I don't have a lot of responsibilities begging for my time, so I'm sure its easier for me than most.

Not to mention when I type the first word for a MS I'm obsessed with it until I type 'the end'...

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

When I was writing for free, feedback kept me motivated. It's hard to find motivation sometimes, but I keep plugging along the best I can.