Apr 17, 2012

A to Z - Opportunities

Take a minute and think about what scares you.  Spiders?  The Dark?  Heights?

There are lots of people who have all sorts of fears but one of the most common is probably putting ourselves out there, on the line.

But here's the thing, there are incredible opportunities, for all of us, no matter where we live or how long we have been writing or what degrees we have or anything.  We have to get over ourselves and realize that if we don't get over our fear of putting ourselves out there, the greater fear could end up being our reality - the fear of not progressing.

Opportunities are in abundance.  There are always blogfests where people are offering critiques, conferences that we can attend, opportunities to pitch our manuscripts.  Oftentimes we don't try something because it might mean it's not received with open arms.  But when this happens, I often ask myself  one question.

What's the worst thing that can happen?

What if I pitch a story to an agent and they tell me it's not what they are looking for?  Am I any further away from my dream than I was before?

We have to chase after these opportunities because there are so many people who truly want to help. We have to get over our fear.  So grab a drink of your choice (DIET COKE!), figure out how to make what you have been avoiding happen and get yourself out there.

What have you been trying to avoid that you need to do?  What opportunities are waiting for you right now?

16 comments :

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Excellently put, one cannot overcome fears of any sort without putting ourselves in that situation.
I know this is true I have tried it and it works.

Yvonne.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Hadn't really thought about the freezing fear of open opportunities. excellent post.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What is the worst that can happen? Besides, do nothing and nothing happens.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I really should make the most of new opportunities, I always find ways to believe I'm not what they're looking for.

Cassie Mae said...

I'm totally avoiding querying right now. I know that's so awful of me and I need to send out more. Don't know quite how to explain what's holding me back.

elizabeth seckman said...

Get out of my head! LOL...I have been having the ultimate anxiety...when book hits publication...if readers hate it...then...oh the stress!
Mine too is diet coke- you're such a smart lady!

J. A. Bennett said...

I agree, we have so much potential, we just have to work at it! Great post!

Angela Cothran said...

I'm afraid of mice and rats...and gerbils, but I don't think they hold me back :) Great post!

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

But it's soooooo hard!

(Okay, I'll stop whining.)

Lynn Proctor said...

so true--great words of wisdom

M.J. Fifield said...

Well, I just found a new publisher to which to submit my manuscript. The idea of doing so scares the living daylights out of me. Does that count?

Heather M. Gardner said...

It's so true.
I hold myself back for dumb reasons.
Great post and reminder.
Heather

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I need to get my latest WIP out there. And finish some edits, and fix up my flower beds, and plan my daughter's graduation party.

Nicole said...

Another great post and a good reminder to seize those opportunities whenever we can!

Leigh Covington said...

You are on a roll girl! I love this. Is it weird to find yourself afraid of success? Or too afraid to try incase of failure? Agh. It's an aggravating world, but I'm done being afraid. I'm going for it! And eventually... something will come of it! :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Tasha! Great post on opportunities.