Apr 23, 2012

A to Z - Time

I'm laughing a little that this was the topic I picked in February when I was prepping for this challenge, because I have been so strapped for time the last two weeks that I need this post probably more than anyone else :)

One of the trickiest things about chasing any dream is managing the time of reality with the dream. We would all love to be able to sit at home, writing our stories for the world, and just having money automatically deposited because of our drive, dream, and desire.  However, that just doesn't happen.  We have jobs, spouses, kids, pets, yards, extracurricular pursuits, community service and the list goes on.  The hardest part of our job is maintaining everything.

When it is time to write, put everything else away.  I love to jump on my Pandora station labeled writing, put in my earphones, have a fresh Diet Coke, and write.  My goal is to get at least an hour every night, which doesn't always happen because of the previous paragraph, but I still have the time set aside to remind me. It is an event that shows up on my google calendar, synced with my phone, tablet and on my computer.  There are nights when I'm away at that designated time, but I at least try to think of what I want to write next, so that it is every present in my mind.  Even doing this allows me to utilize my time better when I do get it.

While it isn't quite what I would really like it to be, it is better than nothing at this point.

How do you dance the delicate steps of managing time in reality?

15 comments :

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm lucky because I'm a stay at home mom with all her kids at school. But despite that, I still don't get in as much writing as I would like. None of those eight hour days of none stop writing that I envisioned. For me, though, it's about making sure I balance writing with my other responsibilities. It's too easy to say I'll do them tomorrow. I just need to finish the chapter first. And you know what they say about tomorrow. ;)

Simon Kewin said...

Um, badly? I'm very fortunate in that I get an hour or so in the afternoon before the kids come home from school. Other than that, fitting things in and around real life is something I've just got used to doing ...

Cortney Pearson said...

I struggle with time management, always try to put my kids first. Although when the baby naps I have the 4 y/o take "quiet time" in the afternoon where he has to play on his own, which is so good for him, I think, and also gives me a couple hours of kid-free writing time!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Ugh, this is one of those million-dollar questions. I just try to do my best- keep my priorities straight and figure it will all eventually get done. If you love writing, you make time for it however you can. It's simple as that.

Cassie Mae said...

How do I manage my time? That's easy!

I don't.

:)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I take it moment by moment and do the best I can. I think that's all I really can do.

Angela Cothran said...

I'm terrible at this. My laundry and dinners end up suffering because of reading and writing, but oh well :)

Lynn Proctor said...

one day at a time and certain tasks hoped to achieve that day

Danielle B. said...

I don't have time to manage it. I do wish for longer evenings but it never happens. maybe Father Time should manage his time better.

Joshua said...

Speed reading helps. Acute situational awareness.

I'll be honest, whenever I hear or read the word "time," The Stones' song starts playing in my head. Like right now even.

michelle said...

Hi Tasha. Thanks for visiting my place!
You've given me something to think about. With regards to time management, I'm bad... and I've been trying to put it off...
I really need to work on that aspect!
Enjoy the rest of A to Zee!! I will pop in again.
I've noticed that I'm already following your blog!

http://writer-in-transit.co.za/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At the moment my reality is a bit out of sync, but when the Challenge is over, I will set aside writing time again.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love that you have your writing time scheduled!

Lately, mine has been taking over. :o( I feel like I need to schedule more hang out with my family and do nothing time.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Tasha. Time management has been the topic on several blogs I've visited. I'm not very good at time management. I am working on it. Some days are better than others.

Nicole said...

I manage the dance by never letting my feet stop moving. :)