Apr 26, 2012

A to Z - Work

I have really been seriously working on my writing for just over six months, and there is one lesson that I have learned with vivid awareness more than any other.

Writing is work.

Seriously, I'm sitting there, with my cinnamon bears and Diet Coke, thinking everything is going to be wonderful.  All I have to do is make words show up on a page, and since I can read and appreciate beautiful literature, I can write it, right?

Right?

My writing process usually goes something like this.

This is okay, okay, I made this better, this is actually working, oh my word, I really love this scene, and then...

And then...

Yum, hello cinnamon bear, let me eat you.  Sip Diet Coke.  Play with hair.  Check Facebook.  Remember I'm going to write a brilliant scene tonight. 

Return. 

Waiting for brilliance.  

Waiting for brilliance.

Waiting for okay.

Mediocre?  

Words?  

Sigh.

Seriously, this writing thing is often so much harder than I thought it would be.  And then, halfway through a really good revision, I do something brilliant like realize my characters are the wrong ages.  And have issues.  Big issues. 

Rewrite.

Rewrite.

Rewrite.

What do you do to maintain your desired work ethic?  What are keys you have found to get you some results when they all seem to be so darn evasive?

10 comments :

Cristina said...

oh I know just how you feel. It IS so hard!!! I have no suggestions besides just keeping at it... my goals right now is to write every day.. on a good day I write 1k words... but many days I can only manage a couple of hundred. It's frustrating, really frustrating. But I keep telling myself, that even if it's not a lot, it's more than if I had written none.

oh also, I try to take a few minutes to write about the scene on a notebook before I sit in front of the computer. It helps me get in the right frame of mind before I sit down to do "real work"

elizabeth seckman said...

I keep praying I will get the same motivation to clean my house that I have for spending a whole day reading and rereading a chapter.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wrote my second book during NaNo so it just might take that kind of dedication to make the third one a reality.

Angela Cothran said...

I'm so controlled by my mood. If I feel like writing that day I will stay in my pj's and blow off EVERYTHING. But if I'm not feeling it I can't write to save my life.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

You have just described my typical day! :) At least were all in it together :)

Patricia Lynne said...

I was just talking w/ a friend on twitter last night about being disciplined and I said I have none. When I am motivated to write, I better take advantage and write.

Nicole said...

It's crazy (and somewhat sad) how quickly we move from "waiting for brilliance" to "waiting for words...any words...please." :)

McKenzie McCann said...

It is indeed work, but then when I'm feeling like it's work and confide in my friends, they respond by saying, "You know you love it."

And then I realize that yes, yes I do. Out of all the kinds of stresses I could be under, a big writing load is on the top of my list.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love that sign. Sometimes I pack up my laptop and head to the nearest coffee shop where I can work without the homefront intruding.

loverofwords said...

It is hard and I think it was hard for the "greats" too. They struggled and struggled, so you are in good company.