May 16, 2012

Chats and books

First of all, I'm hosting my first chat EVER!  Tonight, 7:00 pm MTN time (so 9:00 pm Eastern, 6:00 pm Pacific) over at The Writer's Dojo.  When you go over there, you just need to click on the little tab at the top that says Ninja Chat.  We are going to be talking about techniques to manage and maintain that every valuable writing time.  I would love to have you guys jump over and share what has worked for you and get some ideas from others. It will last an hour and I will not be handing out tardies if you are late :)

Second, my brain is in a stupor.  I still am marinating all the info I got from Storymakers and the school year is winding down and so I'm in massive grading mode.  I just feel like I'm completely brain dead when it comes time to write. 

So, to make up for that, guess what I'm doing.

Adding more brilliant ideas.

I started this book shortly after Storymakers at the recommendation of my brother and I simply cannot say enough good about it. 

Guys, it is seriously blowing my mind.  And the blog just adds to it.  I made a decision earlier this month that I was going to alternate fiction and non-fiction in my reading, and wow did I ever pick a good non-fiction.


These are next on the non-fiction to read list and I'm actively building my *need to read over summer* list with all kinds of good fiction and non-fiction that I just haven't got to yet.

What have you been reading?  What has been on your list for a long time that you just haven't got to yet?  Do you have any recommendations of what I just *need* to read during my break from teaching?  How's your brain?

11 comments :

Dianne K. Salerni said...

*Waves from over in her own grading hell.* Oh boy, do I hear you, Tasha! My head is full of ideas -- I've still got one scene to revise to satisfy my editor on Book #2 and I need to do some planning for the second half of my WIP, but for the next 7 hours I have to push all that out of my brain and think about grades, placement of students for next year, and oh, the administration thinks it would be fun to start planning for next September.

Clarissa Draper said...

I'm going to get that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I'm currently reading a couple of indie published books. I have a big list of to-reads- mostly contemp adult romance or urban fantasy but some YA too.

elizabeth seckman said...

Still trudging through "Atlas Shrugged"...almost done!! But also reading a new writer, Jillian Kent and Jolene Perry's "My Heart for Yours".

S.P. Bowers said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I generally read multiple books at once. If you count my nonfiction and audiobooks I currently have 4 going.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm reading M. Pax's latest, The Backworlds. And trying to write my next book!

Angela Cothran said...

Non-fiction needs to be amazing to keep my interest. I did love Outliers and Imagine is on my TBR list. I'll let you know what I think.

deathwriter said...

I'm a nonfiction gal, so my favorite books in that category are, "Stiff" by Mary Roach, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "The Liar's Club" by Mary Karr. And anything by David Sedaris.

Francene Stanley said...

My brain is now fixed on blog-hopping instead of the real work of writing. I'm trying to reeducate the little grey cells to no avail.

Leslie Pugh said...

aha! I have found your blog and can now stalk your writing genius! Unfortunately, now you've made my must-read list even longer! Those look like great recommendations.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I hope your chat went well last night. We're getting over (please, let us be getting over it) a nasty stomach bug that everyone seemed to pick up on Mother Day. Lovely.