May 30, 2012

Has Technology Changed How You Blog?

You might be scratching your head at this one as technology is essential for blogging.  What I want to address is the newer technology.

For instance, I know lots of people, myself included, who will respond to emails via a smart phone.  Generally, my responses aren't long and when I'm waiting inline at a bank or for a kid's game/concert/recital to start, it's a nice way to kill the time.

But what about blogging?  Do you ALWAYS blog from a proper computer (laptop/desktop)?  Or do you access blogs through mobile devices as well?  When you are using your mobile device, are you more or less likely to leave a comment?

I got thinking about this the other day when I was sitting in my bed, waiting for the pain killers to kick in and reading blogs on my google reader app.  See, I love the google reader app - just a swipe of a finger and the next entry is in front of me, but the problem I have with google reader is that I can't comment within the program - mobile or not.  When I'm on my computer, it's not a big deal, I just open new tabs and when the top is full, I run over and comment.  However, if I'm reading a blog entry on my phone or tablet, I tend to read, think it's brilliant and move on.  But then I feel horrible because I haven't told the person who was brilliant that I thought they were brilliant.

So here's the question that seems to arise during any technological discussion - has the ease of technology made you have fewer bloggy conversations?  Does the satisfaction of clearing out your google reader take over making more personal connections?  Does anyone know a way to have the best of both worlds?

This is the participation part of this post - I would really love to hear what you think on the issue.

19 comments :

Hart Johnson said...

I don't have a smart phone, so it hasn't been an option, but I can see it being really convenient to fill in that blank space time--while waiting or commuting. I wouldn't want to not be able to comment though. I project onto others what I do--when I am busiest, I really only get back to the people who've commented, so I feel like if I haven't commented, I haven't been there.

Cassie Mae said...

I do everything from my laptop, so yeah, I'm no help! Haha!

Emily R. King said...

I will reply to comments from my phone, but as for seeking out other people's posts and commenting, I do that from my computer. It's so much faster!

Joshua said...

I post from an actual computer because Blogger and iPads don't play well together. Except when I go on vacation and haven't had a chance to pre-pend posts, then I email new posts and edit later, if necessary.

As far as reading, I read blogs from a computer or from the iPad. I don't read from my phone because I know I wouldn't comment if I did.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I use a computer to blog. Mobile devices are irritating to me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Commenting and connecting less? Me? Are you kidding?
If I read, I comment.
Don't have a cell phone but I use my iPad often to blog.

S.P. Bowers said...

I do all blogging on my computer. But if I'm on my laptop I do comment less because it's slower.

I have a smart phone and I do check emails there but if a needed response is longer than a text I'll wait until I'm on the computer to do it.

Kelly Hashway said...

I barely use my phone for online stuff because it's too small. I'd rather use my laptop. It's quicker and much easier to see.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I am not much good at technology as you can gather but I do arrange for my comments to come through my phone via email.

Thanks for your comment, thought it hilarious, no I don't shout at my pc in rhyme what I say is unprintable.

Yvonne.

Lynn Proctor said...

my smart phone has been wasted on me--i still haven't hooked it up to facebook!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I do some responding by smart phone, but it gets tedious. Even if I can do it from my iPad via WiFi it's better.

Li said...

I'm a dinosaur; I don't even have a smartphone or e-reader. I prefer to do computer things on a laptop, and reading on paper - I even do some of my writing on paper!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I only read blogs on my computer. That way I can comment. Otherwise it's guaranteed I'll see a great post and I won't be able to tell the blogger this. And that makes me sad.

Elana Johnson said...

I love emailing and tweeting from my phone, but anything else more technical, and I need a computer. But it sure is nice to check Facebook and email wherever I am!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I do a little bit of blogging from my smart phone, but it's slow and inconvenient. Of course, I have the earliest model of Droid. If I ever get it upgraded -- and if the new model works better -- I might use it for blogging more often.

Tara Tyler said...

the ease of ecomminication is addictive. people are constantly checking email, texts, blogs, tweets...etc!

craving feedback is definitely taking away from the real thing! its how kids date & gossip & express themselves.

its a disaster of misinterpretation waiting to explode out of proportion! kids will need to take human interaction classes!

Arlee Bird said...

I guess my phone is pretty dumb and I dumber than a cell phone. I just do all my stuff on my desk PC except on rare occasions when I might be away from home and take my notebook. I'm pretty much old school I guess.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Annalisa Crawford said...

Oops, I'm doing that right now, just moving down my Google Reader because I have 406 posts to read. In this instance I'm commenting on the ones where I really have something to say (or admit, in this case), but I almost always read blogs on my laptop so it's easy.

Loca4crafts said...

I am currently reading your blog on my Kindle Fire using a Tootle reader app. It is very new technology for me, and I just figured out how to leave comments! Yay!