May 2, 2012

IWSG - What's the Worst??

For more info about the Insecure Writer's Support Group, visit Alex's blog here.

As many of you may know, there is are writer's conference this weekend in Utah that many author bloggers are going to, and I will be one of them.  This is the first conference that I will be going to where I really feel like I'm a writer going to a conference (other times I have been going to learn things as a teacher and enjoying my status as a closet writer).

You know the mantra go big or go home?  Well, I'm living that this weekend.  I signed up for an intense meeting with four other writers and a published author to get my first chapter publication ready as to use as a key to get the rest ready with it.  I entered the first chapter contest, am going both days of the conference after that, pitching to an AWESOME agent and eating at the VIP table with a few agents and editors.

I'm not going to lie, I was really nervous as this started getting closer because people, I'm really putting myself out there.  And I've only really been calling myself a writer, even to myself, for over six months.  But then I got thinking...

What is the worst that could happen?

So I don't get a request for a full - I get 10 minutes all to myself with an agent.  I get to eat dinner with people in this industry.  I get to see what others think about my writing thus far and with fresh eyes.

And if I don't do any of it, it is a guarantee that none of it will happen.

I told myself to get over my insecurities and put myself out there.  If I'm really serious about this writing thing, I need to pull on my big girl panties, suck it up and talk to people.  And query.  And submit to beta readers. 

No excuses.

What are you doing to extend yourself?  When has conquering your fears lead to expectations beyond what you thought possible?  And are you going to be at Storymakers this weekend?  

(If so, please, please, please, I would LOVE to meet you!)

16 comments :

Elise Fallson said...

Going to this conference is such a great opportunity, remember that and it'll be awesome. Wish I could "pull on my big girl panties" and come with you! lol.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

You're going to love going to the conference. But be warn! Once you've gone to one, you become a conference junkie. :)

Hmmm, to extend myself? I've taken online writing courses and have made a lot of writing friends who go on to became crit partners and beta readers. And let me tell you how scary that is, but it's been worth it.

Enjoy your conference. :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Sounds like it will be a great conference. Glad you are putting yourself out there. Wish I could go, but I'm a bit far. Lol

Good luck with the contests.

E. Arroyo said...

Good for you! I have to absorb some of your mindset here. I've been too chicken. But you are right..nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck!

elizabeth seckman said...

You're talented and intelligent, and no matter how this weekend goes, you are a writer.
(I always look forward to reading your blog and really that's all that matters...lol)
Good luck and have fun!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right - do nothing and nothing happens. At the very least, you'll learn a lot. So good for you!

Michelle Gregory said...

when i published for me (which is still a big deal) i never imagined so many people would want to read it. and i certainly didn't think they would like it as much as they have.

Jenilyn Tolley said...

I'm going to be at Storymakers. I've already told Rosalyn to introduce me to her writer's group, so hopefully I'll get to meet you. :)

J. A. Bennett said...

You have a full plate this weekend! I bet something amazing will happen even if you don't get a deal. This is going to stretch you in ways you never thought it could. I can't wait to see you there!

Lynn Proctor said...

here's to an amazing experience for you!!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

That's the attitude! Good for you! I bet you have an amazing time. :) I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

S.P. Bowers said...

Wish I could come to storymakers. Have fun, and good luck with everything. I'm sure it will be a great experience.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

As I live in the UK I won't be able to attend Storytellers.
Will you meet up with any of your blogger friends?
It was great to meet Arlee when I went to LA in Feb. he is a wonderful person.
Have a good time.
Yvonne.

michelle said...

I'm visiting from IWSG.
Go for it! What an opportunity!
You have nothing to lose... and everything to gain from this experience...

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Tasha, I'm really shy in person (better online) and something like this would be really hard for me. I am so glad you're doing it.

You're right. There is no worst about it. You are going to come away with valuable knowledge, some new contacts and insights. It will be nothing but awesome!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds like great fun. I be you do great. And you can tell them you have a very successful blog. They like hearing about 'online presence.'