Jun 15, 2012

Letting our Writing Heal

I spent the last four weeks on crutches after having some ligaments reattached in my ankle.  As you might suspect, or if you haven't been on crutches before, moving around using only your arms is really hard (if you find yourself in this situation though, remember to use your core more than you think - your armpits will thank me).

So yesterday I had my cast cut off, and the next four weeks will be in a walking boot.  The tricky thing about this is that even though I'm healing, walking now hurts.  It's a necessary step in the process, but just because I'm getting better doesn't mean I'm all the way there.

And I haven't even started physical therapy yet.


Guys, this is my writing.  I have scenes that, when my CP's get them, are spot on enough that the critiques are line edit and punctuation type things, and others where the idea is there, it's getting better, but it still needs work.

It's so so so so so easy to get caught up in the "but I already fixed this" syndrome, wondering how many times a scene will need to be looked at, tweaked, fixed, or endure a full fledged surgery because it's just not working.

The absolute worst thing I could do for my ankle right now would be to get impatient and try to recover too fast.  Bottom line is it would snap those ligaments and I will have to start all over again.  And the worst thing we can do for our MS is get impatient.  Yes, it will be frustrating.  Yes, we would rather have it just be better because we think we have taken enough time.

But yes, it will completely be worth it.

What are you going to do this weekend to patiently help your MS heal?

16 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you're one step closer! (Wow, sorry for the bad pun.)
I'm still working on the first draft but new ideas are coming to me, so there will be many new scenes inserted in the next draft.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

It must be hard to be patient, because now that you can walk, it would be easy to overdo things and set yourself back.

Good reminder today that manuscripts need TIME more than anything else. I just finished copy-edits on my second book. It's *almost there!* and seeing it all shiny and polished makes turning back to my first draft WIP really hard to do. My WIP is all sickly and covered in warts. All I can see right now are its flaws.

I might have to do a blog post on this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Emily R. King said...

I'm doing this right now. Once I've ripped a chapter apart, I give it a little while to heal before I go back and pick at it again. I do it for my sake more than its. I do better with a fresh perspective.

Tony Van Helsing said...

I broke my leg badly years ago and spent nine months using crutches. My arms had never been more toned.

Michelle Gregory said...

even though i just posted last week about being patient with my MS, i feel this pull towards rushing. thanks for the reminder.

S.P. Bowers said...

Yes, yes, yes. Excellent post. I find the closer I get to the end the more impatient I get and the sloppier in my edits in an effort to finish. I'm trying not to let that happen, so this weekend I'm just going to take my time and not worry if i don't meet my deadline. Which I won't.

Congrats on getting rid of the crutches!

Andrew Leon said...

When I was writing House, I had to go back to chapter 4 over and over again. It was so... frustrating. I just wanted to be finished with that chapter, but, after many returns to it, I think I ended with the right balance.

Leigh Covington said...

Glad to hear that you are healing, even though it isn't a fun process. AND... love how you've related it to writing. SO TRUE! You're amazing!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Really good points, Tasha. I've had 3 foot surgeries, so I love your analogy. I actually cut off the cast after two of them. The second time my doctor yelled at me. I was a nice obedient girl for the third surgery.

Suzie F. said...

You poor thing! What a drag that you have to be on crutches for so long.

I'm just beginning a new WIP. With this one my plan is to work on character development and plotting before diving into the writing. I will definitley need patience as this is new for me. Usually I have a skeletal outline and wing it.

Found you through Katie's Friday Bloffee :)

Tonja said...

Ugh. I hope you have people taking care of you. I think nothing's to be gained by rushing either.

Nick Wilford said...

That's a great analogy. You're right that it's worth taking the extra time to get it as good as can be because otherwise the time you've already spent is for nothing. Hope you're healed soon!

deathwriter said...

I'm ignoring it and starting something new. Monday, I will go back to it and do a fast draft of that final chapter. Then I'll let that sit before revisiting it.

Sorry about your leg. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Simon Kewin said...

Good analogy and I'm glad you're healing. Me? If absolutely all else fails, I get to the point where I delete the whole problemtaic section. If that makes me feel good I think I've probably done the right thing ...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I had something similar done to my ankle a year ago. It's a long recovery. And my WIP is in rest phase.

Nicole said...

Great perspective! Happy healing.