Jul 4, 2012

IWSG - Put in The Time

Today is the first Wednesday of the month and so it is time for the insecure posting of the month (I'm trying really hard to think about insecurities only once a month...)  I am actually in the serene mountains at a immediate family reunion and hoping I'll have some serene time to write while there...

Last Saturday, I got together with one of my CP's, we both sent our kids off with grandparents, put butt in chair and wrote.

AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!

I spent the hours after kicking myself for being an idiot and not writing that committed more often. What is my problem?  I know I need to write, but I really like to come up with reasons not to write, which are generally pathetic.  

I really think the key for me is going to be fixing up a place in my house that is out of the direct line of sight of my kids.  They are 7, 9 and 11, so they no longer need me every second, but they are also involved in their own things and have friends and I love that, but it makes it hard to write in the center of the house, which is where I currently work.  

So, those of you who get stuff done in the middle of the house amid the children...wait, do you exist?  If you do, hints?  Suggestions?  Ways for me to be awesome like you?


11 comments :

Angeline Trevena said...

I don't know how they do it either. I have a little cubby with my desk in and it has a curtain that I can pull across the entrance so that I feel like I'm alone. It's the only way for me.

Tonja said...

My desk used to be in the center of the house facing the hallway. Not good. I gave the room to the baby and moved my desk into my bedroom facing a wall with my back to the hallway and the laundry basket. It's really worked well.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry, no children to distract me. But BuNo helped me recommit to my writing.

Andrew Leon said...

Mostly, it involves me telling them, repeatedly, to be quiet. And then doing that some more. My writing goes way down during the summer.

Tara Tyler said...

ha ha!
great you got to do that! i have more chunks of time with older ones, but nothing consistent. esp in summer!

my superwoman day...
blog & make breakfast
housework or shop
lunch
a little writing
more chores
a little blogging
dinner & cleanup
relax/read/write
kids to bed
write til sleepy =)

Tara Tyler said...

ps, doing stuff with kids is mixed in there too, i bring my laptop to the pool for after dinner kid swim/mom write time...

Clay said...

It's difficult but we do exist. We have a needy toddler who is wonderful. We take turns at who is occupying him. But it gets distracting when you have an awesome idea, and he pulls your arm away from the keyboard. It's frustrating but I try to fit my writing in where I can. Sometimes I try to write the distractions into my work.

I am finding on days where I have time free, I end up procrastinating, and clean up the house. I don't see it as time management, its more like time attitude - I have to adapt. Good luck with it all !

elizabeth seckman said...

I really get nothing done till my kids go back to school. My own writing room with a locked door...pinch me I'm dreaming.

Nick Wilford said...

I get up at 5am. It's what I do during the school year, but instead of getting the kids ready, I'm writing! Taking a week off after I've finished my WIP is tempting, though...

J. A. Bennett said...

My writing station is in the same place. I end up writing at a night a lot becasue then the kids are asleep and I can plug in my headphones and just go. During the day it's just way too hard with the kids. Glad you got some writing done, have fun at your reunion!

Clarissa Draper said...

Well, all my kids are teenagers so that helps but it's also helpful when I get up early in the morning.