Aug 3, 2012

The Journey to a Quiet Place + Demolition

What's behind the wall?
I discovered something yesterday.  If I can get some peace and quiet for about an hour and a half, I can write 2000 pretty solid words in that time.

This is both incredibly exciting and has pissed me off completely.  Summers are crazy, I completely get that, and kids need to have a chance to be a kid, stay up later, enjoy these days.  But that means they are loud and running around and having friends over and pretty much end up being the annihilators of silence and try as I might, I can't block them out enough to get writing done.

But there is good news.  My hubby is a contractor and the house that we are living in has some, shall we say interesting features.  But one that had been bugging him for a while was a dead space - aka more space between walls than just framing studs.  So yesterday I was annoyed (see previous paragraph and add all the lesson plans I'm trying to write as school starts in two weeks) and he was annoyed because it has been raining so much here, which is good in a desert but bad when he has two huge concrete pours to do.  So we stared at this spot, decided it indeed wasn't a structurally essential wall and did the best thing every for stress.

That's all copper.
Demo.

Come to find out, when the house was build, they put in a radiant floor system. That they then hooked up to solar panels.  But it was in the 70's and that stuff doesn't work and the house settled a little ruining the radiant floor system.  But here is the most bizarre thing. 

The builder constructed his own 650 gallon water heater. 

In the walls of his house. 

With 2x6s and sheets of rubber.

We figured the pressure of 650 gallons is just under 6,000 pounds. That's three tons people. Can you imagine pitching, or having the idea pitched?  "Honey, I have this idea..."

The best part of this, outside of the entertainment factor that someone actually built this, the really exciting thing is this is step one toward my quiet away from the center of the house the kids can only bug when it's important room. 

Have you ever seen something so bizarre?   Have any big plans for the weekend? 

15 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is really odd. But hey, worked in your favor!
And I am in awe of your writing speed. It would take me six to eight hours to write that much.

J. A. Bennett said...

That sounds like something my dad would totally do. Unfortunately for me there are no hidey holes that I can run away too. We had our house built so I know I won't encounter anything strange. When this baby starts sleeping through the night I can stay up late again and maybe get some actual writing done!

Cristina said...

I too am in awe of how much you can write. and yay for a new quiet space for you ;)

Miranda Hardy said...

Yes, very entertaining story to tell. I bet it felt good to demo it.

Angela Cothran said...

I always have great plans to write int he summer, but the kids derail them. I do much better when everyone is in school :)

Nick Wilford said...

What an interesting surprise! I wish I had something like that, but our house is only four years old. That's an awesome word count in that time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I used to always think as a teacher I would get a lot of writing done in the summer but it never happened until this year when my kids are older.
I'm writing writing, writing and then writing this weekend.

Nicole said...

Interesting! Good luck finding the time to crank those words out. It can be tricky, but you can do it!!

Catherine Noble said...

I'm so jealous of your new writing nook! :) Well done for your impressive word count, and here's hoping the rest of the school holidays are more peaceful for you!

Kelley Lynn said...

2000 words in an hour and half?? Awesome!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I've just realised that I haven't stopped by for over a month - a knew I was slacking at blog visiting, but that's just silly!

2000 words is awesome!

I know first-hand the daft things people do to their houses, which obviously seem so normal when they're doing it!

Ciara said...

I write on average 1500 words an hour, but I wouldn't call them great words. :) It is more of the bones of the story. I totally get the summer/kid issue. I have three boys. My writing count for the summer 3000 words. Ugh.

Lisa Regan said...

Wow, how bizarre is that?! Well my husband once ripped out the sheetrock in one wall of our bathroom to reinsulate everything and we found the room actually went back another 2 feet. In fact there was an entire tiled bathroom wall behind it complete with a fancy, recessed mirror! The previous owner had just rocked right over it! Very strange. Anyway, hope you get some quiet time!

Gene Pool Diva said...

So happy hubby isn't handy enough to impliment his interesting ideas.
Maybe you can recycle that rubber into a little sound proofing.

yajur said...

Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!








Pool Demolition