Aug 13, 2012

What If with a Snow White Twist


This week is the "What If?" Blogfest hosted by Mark, Cassie, Leigh and Morgan.  I love a good twist to a familiar story so I had to jump on this team.  

Snow White walked into the master suite, her prince making the necessary arrangements to join their two kingdoms.  It had been over a decade since she last stood in this room.  The last time, she held her father’s hand as he passed from this world to the next.  She remembered his last words, “Give her the mirror.”  

Within minutes of her father’s last breath, the queen asked, “What mirror?”

When she turned over possession, the only instructions given were to start with, “Mirror, Mirror on the wall.”  As Snow White walked out of that room, she heard the Queen’s desire to fuel her vanity.

When Snow White caught the queen watching her the day she met the prince, she knew the events foreseen by her father were near and hoped the little men she’d heard about were still there.  The apple was a surprise, but the promise of love’s first kiss proved the truest of all.

“Mirror mirror?”

“Hello Snow White, or should I say Your Majesty.”

“Once again, you know all and for that I’m deeply grateful.  As per our agreement, you shall be returned to your rightful owner.”

There was a knock on the open door, a broad dark shadow slowly entered the room.  

Snow White took the mirror down from the wall.

“And my thanks to you, sir, for letting my father know of such events, for lending the tools to set them in play, and for riding to bring my prince back to me.

“It was my honor to fulfill your father’s dying wish.”

Snow White turned, mirror in hand, returning it to the huntsman.



29 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So it was the huntsman's mirror that started it all?

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Very interesting.

Bish Denham said...

Nice twist.

Michelle Gregory said...

great twist.

Cassie Mae said...

Ah, that huntsman. Going to get her man to break the curse and all that. What a good guy. :) Does he look like Chris Hemsworth in this version? ;)

Miranda Hardy said...

Very nicely done, Tasha. I loved that twist.

J. A. Bennett said...

I LOVE that such an awesome twist! Good choice :)

D. D. Falvo said...

Enjoyable twist! I loved the unexpected ending. This was a fun read-- thanks. :)

Leigh Covington said...

Ahhhh! SO COOL!
Great plot twist Tasha! Turns out there was more to the huntsman than we originally thought. I love it!

Thanks for being part of the blogfest!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Very good plot twist. I was rightly surprised. My Entry

Jennifer Young said...

I didn't see that coming! Sweet twist :)

Lauren said...

I like this huntsman.

Lauren
Lauren-ritz.blogspot.com

Morgan said...

Nice! Makes me want to see the new Snow White/Huntsman movie... haven't seen that yet! ;)

Lisa Regan said...

What an intriguing twist! Well done!

Cortney Pearson said...

Great twist, with the huntsman. I hope he's as yummy as the actor in the movie! (Chris Hemsworth? Idk, I mostly just refer to him as Thor, lol!)

JennaQuentin said...

Charming! I like how he was just a dark shadow until the last phrase!

Lara Schiffbauer said...

I like that Snow White isn't the victim. She had it all under control!

Lynn Proctor said...

hmmm quite interesting :)

Mark Koopmans said...

I always knew it was the huntsman all along:)

Thanks for participating :)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

That was a clever twist. Unlike Mark, I didn't see it coming.

Hope Roberson said...

Excellent twist!

Nicole said...

I always like the Hunstman in the Snow White stories - love this take on it. Nicely done!

Mina Burrows said...

Loved the huntsman twist. Very cool. :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

An unexpected twist. Well done. Thanks for sharing it with us Tasha ...

And nice to meet you...

Samantha said...

Oh wow! That is a FANTASTIC twist! Obviously I had a quick mental picture of Chris Hemsworth (yum) even though he was described as being shadowy ;) I also used Snow White for my What If? entry and I am also Team Plot Twist!

Samantha
Writing Through College

Nick Wilford said...

Very nice. I like the role played by the huntsman in this.

Madeleine Maddocks said...

LOL! Aha, now that was an unexpected twist. I enjoyed the appearance of the Huntsman.

Russo said...

I found your blog from the GUTGAA event. I couldn't resist checking out a few blogs before the event started and following them as well.

This was a great twist, it made a familiar story different. I noticed that it said you were getting your classroom ready for back to school. I hope that everything works out with zero stress. My momma was a teacher, so you have my respect.

Russo @ www.threegnomes.blogspot.com

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

So the huntsman was always on her father's side? Nice twist.
A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between