Sep 28, 2012

Being married to a writer

Sometimes I don't think we give enough credit to the ones around us who see us at our strangest most creative.

Last night...

Me: Okay, so pretend I'm dead.

Hubby: *stops TED talk he was watching* Okay...?

Me: And a girl that you have been dating for a few months, which is about six months after I died, kisses you.  What would you do?

Hubby: Um...what?

Me: Would you be emotionally ready for a relationship after I'd been dead six months.

Hubby: Probably not but if I was interested in someone I would explain that.

Me: How?  What words?  Actions?

Hubby: Um...?

This went on for about five minutes as I tried to get in the head of a guy (I haven't ever been one).

And I'm so so grateful for his support.

What are some of the strange things your spouse/friends/etc. endure from you when in the midst of writing?  Random conversations?  Strange habits?

Also, an awesome MG focused blog is launching Monday.  Come back for info and the link.  




18 comments :

Annalisa Crawford said...

Yep, mine deserves an award for putting up with me. Aren't we lucky?

Joshua said...

Mine...tolerates my writing time. It's the only selfish thing I do, though...if that makes sense, probably not to the outside world. Anyway...{buries head in sand}

Charlotte said...

This cracks me up. That Enoch is a bit of a saint, isn't he?

Rosalyn said...

I can just see Enoch's face when you asked this . . .

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Yep. It's got to stink. My husband called yesterday, "Did you get call about the prescription cards?" Nooo...but I found a great disease for my character to suffer from!!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

LOL, mostly my husband just asks if all my heroes are based on him. I know the correct answer.

prerna pickett said...

what a good husband to play along...mty hubs gives me 'the look' when i ask him questions pertaining to my ms, but he also answers.

S.P. Bowers said...

Hilarious conversation! I once came bounding into the room hubby was in and declared "I know what cancer I want" He gave me a weird look but knew I meant for a character.

Jeigh said...

I once casually asked my husband (he's a PA), "So...what would be a good way to kill someone that would take them about 15 minutes to actually die?"

And he always gives me a great answer without batting an eye.

Helen said...

Wow. Just saw this. Mine tolerates it to a degree. I can't ask him questions. I ask my five year old questions sometimes, though.

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loca4crafts said...

I love this post :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Enoch here, in my own defense this is Tasha's first book. If this goes on from book to book I am going to ask to be listed as co-author. #hueylewis

Jess Stork said...

Lol, so true! I throw ideas off my husband all the time, and since I write children's middle grade, it's tough for him to relate. But he very seriously considers each of my questions the way he considers economic data at work. Hmm, would it be logical for her to follow them around the playground? Gotta love the husbands who put up with us.

Livia said...

Very hilarious and true conversation! I like watching "TED talks"...those are very inspirational, motivational and uplifting :)

Nicole said...

Hilarious! Our loved ones definitely deserve credit for putting up with us.

Cassie Mae said...

You are my blog post of the day. Hilarious!

Simon Kewin said...

Heh, most amusing. Yep, who'd live with a writer? Must show this post to my wife...