Sep 17, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest

I'm participating in a blogfest hosted by the great Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.  This is his 7th blogfest and I'm telling you, if you have never participated in a blogfest by Alex, you are missing out on an essential life experience.


Today, we are to share our favorite genre from four categories.

1. Movie - considering I write Women's Lit, lots of people expect that I will like chick flicks, but the truth is I like a bit more action, a bit more drama and political thrillers make me so happy.  I like smart movies, where I have to think and try to figure out what is going on and I love to be surprised by a twist that I really couldn't see coming.  Not sure the name of this genre :)

2. Music - this is a mood thing for me - at the end of the day, I don't want anything with a hard beat or loud lyrics so I go with Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles, and recently Jukebox the Ghost, but in the morning and after teaching, I've been known to crank up Shinedown, Volbeat, Three Doors Down and Black Stone Cherry.  When I'm writing, it's all classical, preferring concertos and symphonies, especially those that highlight the piano.  And if I just want to feel happy, it's always The Piano Guys and Walk off the Earth.

(Geez, Alex, I'm not good at naming things by genre....)

3.  Books - simple answer.  The ones with words.  I like to read lots of YA, both for my enjoyment and to recommend to my students.  Dystopian, paranormal and contemporary are my favorites in this genre. But I also read lots of fiction that is just fiction, having recently enjoyed The Dovemakers, Before I Go To Sleep, The Peach Keeper...I'm kind of all over the place.  I guess the best way to answer this is to just link to my goodreads account.

4. Guilty pleasures...I LOVE chocolate covered cinnamon bears, but only get them when I have worked really hard at something or when I'm gearing up for a really stressful time.  Diet Coke is both a guilty pleasure and necessity for my sanity.  And I have a weakness for owl jewelry. I'm limiting it to jewelry so I'm not the crazy lady who wears owls ALL THE TIME.  I'm crazy enough in my own right.

Do you follow Alex's blog?  Do you have a genre that you love?  Can you identify it better than me?

43 comments :

Kyra Lennon said...

Cool choices! YA contemporary is one of my faves too!

S.P. Bowers said...

This is a fun blogfest, you get to know so much about people!

Mark Koopmans said...

I love political thrillers, too.. but *do* love the thumping music *especially* when I write :)

How fun that we are all different :)

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I had a hard time with the genres, too Tasha. And you're right, an Alex blogfest IS an essential life experience!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You made up your own genres!
Thanks for the intro - that made me laugh.
And thanks for participating in the blogfest. It's been a blast so far today.

C.M.Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C.M.Brown said...

Thanks for sharing your choices Tasha!

Yolanda Renee said...

I find this blogfest so much fun. I hate a movie that makes me think. For me it's all about escapism -- I want to be entertained, nothing more. Although, it's totally different with books. Chocolate covered cinnamon bears, got to get my hands on one of those!

Jeremy [HWR Curator] said...

i am intrigued about your music choices, i have never heard of any of those mentioned...

Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

Karen Walker said...

Yes, I follow Alex - and my guilt pleasure genre is romantic comedies. Nice to "meet" you.
Karen

Bish Denham said...

I had to think hard about the genres I chose. And yup, I follow Alex.

Cindy said...

It's nice to meet someone else who loves YA and Dystopian.

David P. King said...

Of course I follow Alex. He's awesome, and I love your choices today, Tasha. Although I admit I've never heard of chocolate cinnamon bears. I have to look into that. :)

Tara Tyler said...

i got some great recs for ya! thanks! and owls are so popular right now!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Good choices there, Tasha. Yum for chocolate cinnamon bears. I don't buy them because I can't resist them.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I struggled with the music question too. Music is great, mostly!

Joshua said...

Wait...chocolate-covered cinnamon bears? I've never heard of such a thing before...hmm...

J.L. Campbell said...

Your musical choices are new to me, but new is good.

Lisa Regan said...

My problem is I like just about a little bit of everything! LOL. Great post! I enjoyed learning more about you!

Emily R. King said...

Never had chocolate covered cinnamon bears. I've done the gummy bear thing, but not cinnamon. I'll have to try it.

Alyssa said...

Great answers! I love Sara Bareilles too, especially the song Love Song. I've never had a chocolate covered cinnamon bear, but is sounds pretty good!! :D New follower by the way :)

http://lifeisgood-forever21.blogspot.com/2012/09/genre-favorites-blogfest.html

Danielle B. said...

These are all so great! Cinn bears... nom nom nom

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I like words in them the best too! And I am sooo in love with Diet Coke. My son says our bones will turn to dust from it, but still, I can't walk away!!

Allison said...

I really enjoyed dystopian too, but the market is so saturated with it now that I am getting tired of it. Good picks!

Allison (Geek Banter)

VikLit said...

Great choices!

Nancy Thompson said...

I love Shinedown, too!

jaybird said...

I like your pics. I listen to all kinds of music, and loved your answer about books: "the ones with words!" That was awesome!

Michael Di Gesu said...

You are TOO funny with the owls... NOW the chocolate covered cinnamon bears .... NOW WE"RE TALKIN... Where do I get those! LOL.

Great that you're diverse. Classical, perfect for working. Action films and political thrillers... WHY NOT?! Keeping our minds sharp is a good thing.

I've learned a lot about you today, Tasha... That's why these kind of blogfests are SO COOL!

Christine Rains said...

Wonderful list! Your book answer was brilliant. And there's nothing crazy about owls. :)

Tamara said...

Okay...I loved your list. Chocolate covered bears. Owls. What's not to love, right?

I've recently noticed that I've been REALLY wanting to find some cute owl jewelry. The need came out of nowhere. And then I saw this post. haha.

You'll have to tell me where you go to buy yours. :)

Jamie Gibbs said...

Whoo! I've finally found another Volbeat fan :) Excellent choices in music :)


Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

Nicole said...

Fun answers, Tasha.

LynnRush said...

I like me some three doors down, too!! :)

Great list.

Cynthia said...

I mentioned in my blogfest post that I like movies with a twist too! Sometimes I see the twist coming, so that makes it less fun, so it's nice to see a movie ending with a curve ball I didn't see coming.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Yay for YA! Great post!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Good answer for the book genre. I should have used that one.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hello, Tasha. It's very good to meet you. Anybody who is a fan of Sara B. has got to be awesome in my book! If you visit my post, you will see that I'm a classic rock guy; however, I love discovering new music. I thought Bareilles was ok until I caught her concert on television and realized how skilled she was.
And when I write, I have to listen to Classical Music, too.
Thanks for joining the blogfest.

-Jimmy
http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

Livia said...

I love romance\chick-lit films too! Interesting picks! :)

Misha Gericke said...

Hahaha nope. So I basically picked at random and pretended it's my favorites. :-D

Angela Cothran said...

I don't know why chocolate covered cinnamon bears are heaven but they are :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Chocolate covered cinnamon bears and diet coke are two of my guilty pleasures as well. Great choices.

The Capillary said...

Dropping by from the Genre Blogfest. I think the movie genre is called thriller? Don't quote me on that, haha. Action thriller or Political thriller is usually how you see some of the movies described.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've never tried chocolate covered cinnamon bears, but they sound yummy. Also, I love a twist ending that fools me. It happens so rarely, with everything being so predictable, that it's such a treat when it happens.

My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures