Sep 10, 2012

Prove It

I've almost hit my year mark in writing this blog, which naturally, for me, causes a situation of reflection.  But in that, one thing has become abundantly clear.

I have learned so much.

I've learned about blogging and social media and that this community is amazing.

But the most important thing I have learned is that this writing this isn't just a gig for me.  This isn't just something I want to do for a hobby, something to occupy my time like crafting is for many women.

I want this as a permanent part of my life.  I want this as a career.

Some of you may think "Duh!" but saying that I want that and proving it to myself is two totally different things.  Sure, it's easy to get fired up and excited about writing when NaNoWriMo roles around and people are hitting ridiculous goals.  Sure, it's fun to attend conferences and meet people who get it.

But I am finally at the point where I'm not just saying it anymore.  I'm finally at the point where I am cutting things from my life that aren't contributing to my writing, making decisions to keep myself focused and pushing hard to have writing play the role in my life that I used to say I wanted.  

So you want to be published?  Prove it.  Cut things that are fluff, that aren't allowing your to chase that dream.  Obviously there is a need for balance, but balance is equal.  Watching a football game (Go Broncos!) once a week is okay, but watching every game in a single day is not balance.  If you are saying you deserve a break, make sure you did something during your work to have earned that break (Pinterest isn't work people).

Get your loved ones on board.  If they aren't on board, you probably haven't proven to them, yet, how important this really is.  Prove it to them through the things you are giving up during your own down time to fill it with writing.  Don't give up on them, don't kill that relationship, but prove it through the life choices you make.

Give those goals a chance to happen and do the work to get those dreams out of your head and into your life.

Have you made the tough choices in writing yet?  What have you cut to prove to yourself you are a writer? Have any suggestions on good ways to let loved ones know you are serious?

21 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Make the decision and then do it!
Congratulations on a whole year of blogging as well.

Cristina said...

Does forcing myself to get up at 5 am every day to write count? :)

Congrats on one year of blogging. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Talk to your family and let them know you mean business - and then treat it like a job. I was fortunate that my husband was very encouraging and he let me have my writing and promoting time.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You're reading my mind!! I keep thinking...I have to devote time to writing...and lose the guilt over it! Thanks for the prod!

Cassie Mae said...

I'm actually at a point in my life where I have A LOT of time to write. So really, I need to stop farting around so much during that time and write more before another baby enters the house and life gets really crazy

Julie Daines said...

Good advice! What's that line from Transformers? No sacrifice, no victory!

Blair B. Burke said...

I quit my job three months ago and have given myself a year to just write. Completed on novel draft so far, starting revisions and a second story.

Joshua said...

I need to write more. I just wish the kids didn't sap all my energy and I would be able to write more.

David P. King said...

Those that know me take me seriously now, and I think the social network platform had something to do with that, but yes, I love this business and it'll be my career, too (I guess it already is, right?). :)

S.P. Bowers said...

Love it! I've given up a few things, other hobbies, game time with hubby, even cut down on my reading. Hubby knows I'm serious and has supported me the whole way, to the extent of buying me a netbook and always being willing to fix my computer and not make fun of me when I say things like "I know what kind of cancer I want." Also I think persevering and continuing to write in the midst of form rejections is a way to prove it.

VikLit said...

Congrats on the year of blogging!

Andrew Leon said...

Less than a year and over 300 followers (yes, that's where my mind stopped working in all of this); I have to figure out how you people do this.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Great post, Tasha. Love your recommendations. The most important question a writer needs to ask--and the IRS will, too--is this just a hobby? If it is, take your time and just enjoy it. It's not work, not a job. It's fun. Fortunately, many jobs can be fun, too. So if it's a job, give the attention a real job requires.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I'd say one of the hurdles I had to vanquish was not recoiling in humiliation when rejected and giving up entirely. Rejected queries. Rejected "revise & resubmits." Rejected manuscripts on submission. If I'm really going to do this, then I can't give up. I have to pick myself up, dust myself off, and write something else.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You say it so well. But are you sure Pinterest isn't work?

Kelley Lynn said...

Great post my dear! Yes, I've cut some things to make more room for writing. Working out time and spending time with friends. I still do both, but not as often as I would like.

Simon Kewin said...

Yes, great post for sure. Finding the time - especially when I could just be chilling with the family - has always been the hard part for me. I think you have to find the right balance.

Oh, I did spot one mistake, though. You should, of course, have said "Go Giants!"

catwoodsblog.com said...

So very true. Balance is the key to succeeding at anything in life.

I think one of the most important things for writers to remember is that you have to call yourself a writer and believe it. Until you do, it's just a hobby. Only after we pin the name on our passions and on ourselves--adding to our other titles of mom, wife, friend, etc...--can we truly become a serious, dedicated professional.

Great post!

Angela Cothran said...

I know I'm a writer because I...just..can't...stop :)

Jeremy Bates said...

Making time to write is vital. Cutting the fluff as you said is an imperative. With regards to family, that doesn't always happen (but it did for me, thankfully). I think if one is really determined to write, he or she WILL.

Lisa Regan said...

Yes, it is difficult sometimes for people around you to take you seriously. Especially when things in this business move so glacially slowly. But for years the people in my life saw me sacrificing other things for my writing and they did take me seriously. Finally, after years and years, things are starting to happen! Great post!