Sep 26, 2012

Where am I and what am I writing?


I'm a little bit taking over the internet today posting at the Writer's Dojo, over on my CP blog and responding to the meme Jessie Humphries tagged me in (thanks by the way, this was fun!)

What is the working title of your book?
TRANSCEND

Where did the idea come from?
My high school creative writing class was brainstorming bizarre ideas of life after death (lots of people running around heaven complaining about the heat when their bodies are cremated).  But then I wondered what would happen if someone wanted desperately to interact with their loved ones and end up discovering they can manipulate someone they don't know to be with someone they do...and the consequences.

What genre does your book fall under?
Women's Lit.  I like the idea of The Time Traveler's Wife and The Lovely Bones meshed together.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?
I would love Angie Harmon as my MC Nora, maybe Russell Crowe as Charlie (her husband), Shia LaBeouf (I think he can act way better than depicted in the Transformers movies)for Jack and Rupert Grint (if he can do an American accent) for their other son Ben.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? 
Nora Clark sudden death makes her angry, willing to break heaven's rules and manipulate strangers to maintain the love of her husband and guarantee her sons achieve her standard of happiness.  

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 
Hoping for an agent.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 
Still drafting - seriously at it for about a year.

Who or what inspired you to write this book? 
The first line popped into my head one day and I fell in love with Nora, with the unique person she was and needed to write her story.  I also was really struck at how many grown women swooned over teen boys (me too, I'm not judging) and wanted to write a story that allowed women to fall in love with grown men too, without chains, handcuffs and the like.  Love for loves' sake without being cliche or predictable.

What else about your book would pique the reader's interest? 
The things that we all say we would do because we are nice people, but the fact that when we are put in that situation, we do what we want and what will make us happy.  To see that selfishness does have a role, but even in life after life, there can be consequences for actions.

There are so many people I would love to know this info about, so if you haven't talked about what you are writing on your blog yet, I challenge you to do this meme :)

17 comments :

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'd love to read this book for this line alone 'Nora Clark sudden death makes her angry'. Fantastic way to capture my attention!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

True, we are all selfish creatures at heart.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I was tagged with the meme and did it today, but I didn't have the agent verses self publishing question. I must have missed it, or the last person deleted it from hers.

Sounds like a great story idea. :D At least you came up with actors. I was stumped.

Angela Cothran said...

I love the idea of this book :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Time travelers wife and lovely bones, what a great way to put it! I'm have no doubt that your book is all kinds of awesome!

Emily R. King said...

Interesting concept. I wonder if anyone has ever manipulated me from beyond the grave... :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I love this meme because it gives us a chance to see more detail about people's WIPs.

Joshua said...

Did I read that correctly? A mash-up of The Time-Traveler's Wife and The Lovely Bones? Color me intrigued.

Jessie Humphries said...

Yes! I'm so glad you did this. I was totally curious how your creative mind was working! Man this is a great idea. I am way into your comparisons.

loverofwords said...

Love your idea. Do you find teaching Creative Writing (I did this once), increases your writing skills? I remember the ideas just pouring in as I thought about lesson ideas before I went to sleep.

Erin Shakespear said...

Interesting to see where the idea for your WIP came from.

Good luck with it! :)

VikLit said...

This idea sounds great! I love this meme because we get to learn about everyone's great MSs.

Jeigh said...

Your story sounds so cool! I can't wait to read it :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

The life after death stuff lures me in every time! Can't wait to buy it when it's out.

Dave said...

Sounds intriguing.

I'm visiting to primarily to shamelessly promote The Nineties Blogfest on the blogs of everybody that took part in the Noughties Blogfest. Join us on the 15th of October to talk about your favourites from the decade.

Dave
Dave Wrote This

Lisa Regan said...

I'm already hooked. Would love to read this. And I loved The Lovely Bones and Time Travelers Wife--in fact both are favorites of mine. I love the premise you've got.

Nicole said...

Hmm, a combination of some interesting ideas to be sure!