Oct 17, 2012

I Noticed The Language of Flowers

Today is the Did I Notice Your Book Blogfest blogfest hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh and Ciara Knight.  The idea is brilliant: 
Post about a book you’ve noticed. You can choose a book that you’ve read, something you saw on a blog or social media site, Goodreads, or a sales website. Anything that caught your eye because of a great cover, blurb or reviews, but DON’T tell the author that their book has been noticed. Instead, shout out on social media sites, and encourage others to do the same, until the author finds his/her book.
This is something I have been wanting to do a bit more anyway, but I really love this idea.  We were also encouraged to pick one that hadn't been on the NY Times Bestseller List and I tried really hard but couldn't meet this requirement.  However, I really haven't heard many people talking about this book, so I'm going to highlight it anyway.

I picked up The Language of Flowers from my library.  The title and cover caught my attention but the premise really pulled me in.

From Goodreads:


The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it’s been more useful in communicating grief, mistrust, and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings.
Now eighteen and emancipated from the system, Victoria has nowhere to go and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. Soon a local florist discovers her talents, and Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But a mysterious vendor at the flower market has her questioning what’s been missing in her life, and when she’s forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it’s worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.
This book is amazing and beautiful.  Diffenbaugh has found a way to simultaneously make a book heart-warming and heart-wrenching at the same time.  I ignored life and just read this book.  The voice and writing are superb and I just wanted to walk through nurseries and gardens with the book's almanac and make bouquets for everyone in my life.  

Have a book you just loved lately?  Have you read/hear of The Language of Flowers? 

33 comments :

Kyra Lennon said...

This sounds amazing! Adding another one to my TBR list!

sydneyaaliyah said...

This book sounds good. Thanks for the introduction.

Tara Tyler said...

i dont want to cry and it sounds like i would! great review!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

sounds like a beautiful book. Thanks for sharing.

Susan Roebuck said...

I've been meaning to read this book for ages - now it's definitely on my tbr - good choice!

Lisa Regan said...

I have this on my Kindle. I've been told it is fabulous! Can't wait to read it.

Misha Gericke said...

Wow this book sounds amazing! Checking it out on amazon now. :-D

Tyrean Martinson said...

This sounds like a wonderful book!

Marta Szemik said...

The premise pulls me in as well. Nice choice.

E.J. Wesley said...

"Now eighteen and emancipated from the system, Victoria has nowhere to go and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own."

Wow! Great blurb. :-)

J. A. Bennett said...

I love the title and both covers. Looks like a great pick!

David P. King said...

I posted a book review today, not knowing this blogfest was happening, but I'm liking the sound of this book. The title itself is very telling of what the story is about. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I haven't heard of this one, but it's going on my to read list for sure.

Susanne Drazic said...

I've heard of this book, but haven't read it. Thanks for sharing about it.

LynNerdKelley said...

Great pick! You're right, the premise of this story sounds awesome.

Ciara said...

This book sounds fantastic. Wow, my TBR pile is going to be enormous after today.

Nancy Thompson said...

I love, love, love, love, LOVED this book! One of my very favorites of the last year. Great choice!!

Southpaw said...

Sounds intriguing.

Jeffrey Beesler said...

Well, at least the blogfest is providing everyone with new reading material. And that's always a good thing, right?

Carrie-Anne said...

This sounds like a lovely story!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope Vanessa finds it!
Thanks for participating in our blogfest.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Love the title. What is the language of the flowers?

Christine Rains said...

Fabulous pick!

Suzanne Furness said...

This really sounds like something different. Thanks for highlighting it :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Both these covers are lovely, but I prefer the first. Could be because I have simple tastes.

Ink in the Book said...

I've heard so much about this book and I love, love the cover!

Cynthia said...

Saying hello from the blog hop...Sounds like an interesting book. I never knew there was an official Victorian language of flowers.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I bet it's a tear jerker. Thanks for sharing.

The Golden Eagle said...

I've never heard of The Language of Flowers before. I've always been a bit intrigued by the symbolism of flowers, though.

Susan Oloier said...

I adored this book!

Rusty Webb said...

It doesn't quite sound like my kind os story, but still, it's pretty cool.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tasha .. love this kind of book - and so it's being added to my TBR list - fascinating .. I'll enjoy this read. Cheers Hilary

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Such romantic covers.