Oct 15, 2012

Winners and NaNoWriMo

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and happiness and love.  I firmly believe there isn't a better community.

Now, for the winners.

The Night Circus - Emily R. King

The Peach Keeper - Suzanne Furness

Ebook of The Emotion Thesaurus - J. A. Bennett

Please email me at tashaseegmiller at gmail dot com so I can get these prizes to you.

As we are half way through October, thoughts for many naturally drift to NaNoWriMo.  I have done this four years in a row now, I have my creative writing students participate in the Young Writer's Program and work with them.  I used to beat myself up because I haven't won in those four years, but I have always hit the high 30k's.  I still am shooting to win, but I really think there is some value in friends pushing hard, being surrounded by a community who is trying to get this done. Even if you just need the motivation to finish a WIP that you have already started, I really think the writing environment in November is so inspiring.

And since I discovered I'm not even a little bit a pantser, this year I'm hoping the work after won't be quite as intense.

I just passed 60k on my WIP and am planning on completing that before November 1st, nanoing the story idea that has been marinating in my brain for a few months now, then hit edits on WIP hard in December.

Are you NaNoing?  Have a new project you are working on or hoping to start a new one?

16 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to the winners!
Not participating this year as I'll be editing at the time. Even if you don't hit the mark, it's still great motivation.

Jess Stork said...

I'm considering it this year, although maybe with a lower word count. I've won Nanowrimo in the past... and had to rewrite almost every single word...twice. You're right about the community though! It's a great boost to writing.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

signed up for the first time.I can't believe I'm actually a wee bit nervous!

Blair B. Burke said...

I just finished the rough draft of my WIP last week. Now I can let it sit and focus on NaNo - already have the story idea and short outline.

David P. King said...

I know all the winners! Congrats, you guys!

I'm not NaNoing. That kind of commitment isn't feasible right now, but I salute those who are taking the plunge. Best of luck to you! :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yay for the winners! And good luck with NaNo. I'm doing it, too.

Jessie Humphries said...

Yay for Emily, Suzzane and Jenny! Good thing I know these girls so I can stalk them and steal their prizes!
Anyway, yes NaNo!!! I am going to rock that baby! I have been getting way excited about writing Book #2 and I have been using the Beat Sheet so when November comes around I will kill it! Hey Tasha, btw, I am going to a high school creative writing class today to speak about the publication process! It's my first school visit. I am so excited! This is the longest comment ever! Goodbye.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Congratulations to all of the winners.

S.P. Bowers said...

Congrats to the winners!

There is a special something about NaNo, whether it's the community or just the energy that comes with a goal of that magnitude.

Suzanne Furness said...

Yay, Tasha that's awesome and a lovely surprise to come home to. Will email you as requested.

Hope you have a great NaNo :)

Livia said...

I'm not NaNoing anytime soon. Can't write under a deadline and gotta keep my sanity, too so yeah, I'll have fun reading about it on many blogs. :)

Congratulations to the winners!

J. A. Bennett said...

Yay! I'm so glad I won! Thank you!! I'm totally doing NaNo! I'll be by your side pushing you along! ;)

Susanne Drazic said...

CONGRATS to the winners!

Yep, I'm NaNoing this year.

Emily R. King said...

Wow! Thanks so much, Tasha! :D

Congrats to the other winners!

Loca4crafts said...

I will be NaNoing this year. I'm hoping for my first win!

Susan Oloier said...

It's nice to meet you, Tasha.
I am NaNoing this year. I have some years where I participate and others where I don't. I have an idea, but doubt I will get to 50K words this year. Too many other wips to work on.
See you tomorrow during the blogfest.