Nov 2, 2012

The Value of November Craziness

November is a crazy month in the writer world.  Many of you are actively participating in NaNoWriMo, and if that's not for you right now, you may want to consider joining with Jessie Humphries and others with NaNoRevMo.  But I really think you should do one or the other.

This is my 5th year participating in NaNoWriMo.  I have my creative writing class that I teach participate in the Young Writer's Program and I write my own stuff with them, pushing for the 50k while they work towards 10k.

I haven't "won" yet, but I still am and probably always will do one of these two programs during the month of November. Both of these ideas give writers a group which encourages accountability.  Both of these groups give a goal, which may be higher or faster than regular life.  And both provide an energy to encourage motivation

So even if December rolls around again and I didn't hit my 50k, it will absolutely be a higher word count than I normally get.  And every year I participate, I get closer to that goal.  But what's more, as I've been growing as a writer, I am also getting better drafts out of the process.

I may not get the tshirt, but I absolutely win.

Are you writing with NaNoWriMo (I'm tashaseegmiller over there if you are)? Need to revise instead?

11 comments :

Julie Luek said...

I'm participating in NaNoReviMo and so thankful for the support. Either way the point is to charge the spirit and help us refocus and push through-- whether we "win" or not. It's good to feel connected and invigorated. Good luck to you, Tasha!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm at the awkward period. I'll be finished editing my current draft by next weekend. While it's on vacation, I'll plan my next project. So November is a mish-mash month for me. :P

No one has created a NaNo for that. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I am in revisions right now. And even if you miss the mark, it's still a kick in the butt to get a lot more done. I didn't win BuNo this past June, but I did accomplish 46,000 words for my efforts.

Cassie Mae said...

I'll be NaNo-ing too, and it's my first year :) I'm hoping just to have something I enjoy writing :) Oh, and it's good to give the excuse to the hubby when he's giving me the look that I've been on the computer too much, lol.

Elaine said...

So proud of you! I was going to do covert NaNoWriMo so I could feel good about whatever I did accomplish, but now I'm thinking that won't work at all. I'll miss all of the accountability and camaraderie that make it work in the first place. As always, you're making me think here...

prerna pickett said...

This is my second year joining NaNo, I'm hoping i can get to 50,000 words this year.

JeffO said...

ReviMo for me! Good luck with your WriMo.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I working on a third draft of a finished novel. Good luck to you.

Lisa Regan said...

I'm not participating cause I have edits but best of luck to you and I absolutely agree that one of the most important things this event does for writers is teach accountability. That and it makes you do the whole BUTT IN CHAIR AND WRITE thing!

Loca4crafts said...

I'm doing NaNo again this year, and I am already loving my new character.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I'm not participating in NaNo, but I do anticipate revising this month. I expect editorial notes soon, but even before I get them, I know some of what I'm supposed to work on.

I'm excited about the changes I need to make, but also nervous because I have to reduce the word count by about 20k. Yes, 20,000 words must go. While adding new stuff.

Eek.